What's new

Change default routing on an Cisco SG300 switch to allow for a router VLAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Where to start on your answer. I would say yes the default gateway for the router static routes needs to be 192.168.10.254 because the layer 3 switch is doing all the local routing. VLANs are not turned on in the router as I do not want the router to route VLAN traffic. The routers sole purpose is to deal with internet traffic. The router is sending all untagged traffic to and from the layer 3 switch because the router is setup on an access port. Access ports do not have tags. The router access port is a member of VLAN 10. I could run the router through the default VLAN but then the router is being slowed down by other local traffic. The beauty of VLAN 10 is there is no other traffic slowing down the router.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Where to start on your answer. I would say yes the default gateway for the router static routes needs to be 192.168.10.254 because the layer 3 switch is doing all the local routing. VLANs are not turned on in the router as I do not want the router to route VLAN traffic. The routers sole purpose is to deal with internet traffic. The router is sending all untagged traffic to and from the layer 3 switch because the router is setup on an access port. Access ports do not have tages. The router access port is a member of VLAN 10. I could run the router through the default VLAN but then the router is being slowed down by other local traffic. The beauty of VLAN 10 is there is no other traffic slowing down the router.

What do you think?
I think the idea of running the router in a separate VLAN isolated from all the local traffic on the default VLAN is excellent. I´m very interested to try this out myself, hence all my questions. :)

Ole

I am thinking this would be the Ultimate router setup for a gamer if you took this one step more and isolated the game machine as well as the router. You could have both your router and gaming workstation isolated from your local LAN traffic. If for some reason something did not work on your local LAN when not gaming you could unplug and plug back into the main local LAN. DHCP would handle the change automatically.

I am thinking this would be the Ultimate router setup for a gamer if you took this one step more and isolated the game machine as well as the router. You could have both your router and gaming workstation isolated from your local LAN traffic. If for some reason something did not work on your local LAN when not gaming you could unplug and plug back into the main local LAN. DHCP would handle the change automatically.
I´m not a gamer, but I´ll surely try to isolate the router in a separate VLAN after I´ve put my current configuration in production in April/May and verified it is working flawlessly. Your VLAN configurations certainly are very informative and interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Kind regards and greetings from Benahavis, Spain. :)

Cox,

I haven´t seen you on the forum for a while, hope you are well and busy configuring your home network :)

Btw, I´ve read your thread in the pfSense forum regarding how to configure pfSense with a layer 3 switch. Lots of interesting info from the experienced pfSense users there.

Well, I wish you all the best and hope to see your nice and informative posts here at SNB soon again.

Kind regards,
Ole

Ole I hope you installed your SG300 switch while I have been gone. I have been busy with non networking stuff. I did get my daughter's new house wired up to a central point in the garage.

Ole I hope you installed your SG300 switch while I have been gone. I have been busy with non networking stuff. I did get my daughter's new house wired up to a central point in the garage.
Hi Cox,

Nice to hear from you again. I´ve been busy moving in to our new apartment so I haven´t installed my SG300 switch yet. I´ll let you know when I have it up and running.

Best regards,
Ole

@coxhaus - good to hear from you - was starting to worry about you - hopefully the holiday was good (sounds like it was).

@stevech - he's disappeared now - haven't seen anything from him for a month or so...

#FellowGreybeards

;)

Yes, sfx2000 I am still here doing other things. To be honest my networks works so well now I don't mess with it. It just works. I love the router in it's own VLAN. I just can't think of any other mods so I am just letting it run in the background. Every couple of months I click the upgrade button so my pfsense upgrade to the new version.

My wife bought a Smart WiFi plug which won't work on my network because it needs 2.4 GHz and I only support 5GHz. So I may be working on this. She also wants echo support.