What's new

Change used computer unique numbers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KW.

Regular Contributor
I have a used Dell laptop and wonder if its possible to make that laptop to change everything. Mac adress i know you can change. But is it possible to change every other identifier on the computer that existed before I got it?

And is it enough to just do format on the drives and windows restore?

EDIT: I understand its identifiers on the hardware, but its on software my question is about:)

Nope. Not everything.
Are you trying to hide your activity or the previous owner ?
Bottom line , it can be traced back to you.

Reactions: KW.
In terms of user software you could completely wipe the hard disk, including any hidden partitions like the ESP, recovery or OEM. That would be equivalent to installing a brand new disk.

But the hardware characteristics remain the same. You might be able to spoof a MAC address in software but the real MAC address is still there. In the BIOS/UEFI there are ACPI tables that allow the PC to be uniquely identified. This is how OEMs store the Windows licence key nowadays so that you don't need to read a product key off a sticker.

MAC addresses are like serial numbers, they are embedded into the hardware. The best you can do is have the software ignore it and use a different MAC when configuring the network, but that won't replace the hardware-burned MAC, and reinstalling the operating system will restore the original MAC.