What's new

Changing asus rt-ac56r w/merlin to 192.168.254.x subnet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cobra_shipwreck

Occasional Visitor
I have searched the forums briefly and need some direction or help on what I need to try next.

I am having issues changing the modem subnet from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.254.x. I have to do this due to the zyxel modem with a custom bonded DSL card in it that no other vendor has available.

On the web interface I get this error:
192.168.254.2 is not a valid address.

On the router I am not seeing a dhcp configuration file to do a manual edit from there. Running a search for dhcp I get this:

router:/# find | grep dhcp
./rom/etc/l7-protocols/dhcp.pat
./sbin/dhcp6c-state
./sbin/udhcpc
./tmp/udhcpc
./tmp/udhcpc0.expires
./tmp/var/tmp/dhcp
./tmp/var/run/udhcpc0.pid
./usr/sbin/dhcp6c
./usr/sbin/dhcp6s

I would very much prefer to not have to completely revamp my home network. I am having to go with the merlin solution due to some of the easier web configuration functionality on the device is fairly intuitive and easy to manage (relatively speaking.)

The traffic monitoring on a per device level functions with the traffic.db file are more of what I am interested in and sorting out the network portion is the first step for me.

OK I think this is an undocumented feature of firmware version Firmware:3.0.0.4.374.38_2

Apparently you have to change the device IP address and the IP address has to stay x.x.x.1. The subnet range will change automatically to match the IP address of the device that is set. You will get the above error if you try to adjust the subnet range.

This doing things late, late at night after a full day of working on computers is addling my brain, but I digress.