What's new

Changing router region through wl_country

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Murtaza12

Regular Contributor
Aside from the 5GHz issues I'm having on my RT-AC3200, there is also a very small number of 5GHz channels I'm allowed to choose for both 5GHz radios.

5GHz-1 allows:
36, 40, 44, 48

5GHz-2 allows:
Channels 100 to 128

However, no matter whether I set it to 20, 40, 80 or 20/40/80 MHz, it won't show up on any Android phones.
Changing channel also makes no difference. Also, if I set the 5GHz-1 radio to Channel 36, using the inSSIDer software will show both the 5GHz radios set to channel 42 for some reason.

Secondly, I thought this would have something to do with the router region and the fact that the GUI shows no where to change it. The router had asian symbols on the box, and the wl_country command on telnet replies with this:

JP (JP/999) JAPAN

I tried changing it, but that didn't work, however the command may have been wrong, so if you guys could lead me the right way there, and if it isn't possible to change the region through a telnet command, is there a way to change it at all or am I stuck?

Weird part, this issue of 5GHz not showing only started after I updated to 380.66 and then 380.66_2, however on 380.65_4 and below it worked fine, I'll try downgrading but it takes so damn long that I can't be bothered.

Could the 5GHz channels not showing on any Android device be related to the Japanese region setting or just because the 380.66 update messed things up?

Considering the 5Ghz radios are detected just fine on laptops and Apple devices.

EDIT 1: Okay so I did downgrade to 380.65_4 and it didn't solve anything. The 5GHz radios showed up just fine on Android phones before I updated to 380.66 and now that I've downgraded back to 380.65_4, it still doesn't work, yet they show up just fine on my laptop and iPhone.

EDIT 2: Flashed stock ASUS (non Merlin) firmware as well, and did a factory reset right after flashing. As usual, both 5GHz radios show on all devices except Android, and the region as far as I know is still Japan.

I don't know how n update to 380.66 could've screwed this up, but the changes don't want to revert and I can't see the 5GHz network on any Android phone now, probably the most frustrating thing I've had happen with a router.

All replies will be appreciated, especially if I can get this damn thing to change from Japan to another country.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi, if you can see the radios in some devices and not in some others, chances are that this is due to your tadio mode setting beinng incorrect, for instance if may be set to 'AC only' and your devices veing 'g' or 'N'... look into the wireless settings.., also make sure that the rest of the wireless settings are compatible with your devices (i.e encryption/security options, ...)

It could also be a problem with channels and regions, of course, but this is not likely if you have *ever* been able to access those channels with previous merlin / official firmwares and did not change regions. If this is the issue, then there are several workarounds :

1. You can flash a CFE from different region, i.e the one matching available channels where you live. Look for the thread : https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-routers-cfe-dumps-collection.17793/page-41#post-326099
2. You reflash your own CFE with 'unlocked' region (almost the same risks as 1)
3. You can flash a firmware that is unlocked (region free), such as the hggomes one (you will have to look/ask for it to the author yourself)

Hi, if you can see the radios in some devices and not in some others, chances are that this is due to your tadio mode setting beinng incorrect, for instance if may be set to 'AC only' and your devices veing 'g' or 'N'... look into the wireless settings.., also make sure that the rest of the wireless settings are compatible with your devices (i.e encryption/security options, ...)

It could also be a problem with channels and regions, of course, but this is not likely if you have *ever* been able to access those channels with previous merlin / official firmwares and did not change regions. If this is the issue, then there are several workarounds :

1. You can flash a CFE from different region, i.e the one matching available channels where you live. Look for the thread : https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-routers-cfe-dumps-collection.17793/page-41#post-326099
2. You reflash your own CFE with 'unlocked' region (almost the same risks as 1)
3. You can flash a firmware that is unlocked (region free), such as the hggomes one (you will have to look/ask for it to the author yourself)

None of the wireless settings had been changed, yet the phones picked up 5GHz just fine before the 380.66 update.

The CFEs mentioned in the first post are for the AC3200 with HW Revision 2.34, but the bottom of my AC3200 says HW Rev: 4.12, so I'd rather not take the risk and flash something that'll turn my $250 router into a brick.

So basically I'm stuck on the Japanese region and the 5GHz radios don't work on Android phones now? Great.