What's new

changing rt-ac66u to...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

przemekwawa

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone,
I have now two rt-ac66u, one as a main router, second as AP (connected with cable).
They work fine (except problem with guest network on AP - it has connection to local network because of design of guest networks on asus routers), but I need to buy new one, to cover second floor (very, very old house, with strange materials inside, so 2 does not cover everything).
So i am thinking about buying something completely new to change my main router and use both 66U as AP (or if there will be stronger signal, new device + 66u as AP, second 66u as media bridge[network card for some cable devices]). I thought about RT-AC87U, but I found a lot of threads that there are many problems with 5GHz (I am using 2,4 and 5ghz). Is it true still with current Merlin Firmware? RT-AC88U i probably too expensive (in my country all such things are more expensive than price in $).
I need VPN, probably will use VLAN tagging in future to resolve problems with guest networks. Now I have about 14-18 (sometimes more when have guests) wifi devices, I need 1080p streaming, exchanging sometimes a lot of files with NAS, parental control.
My WAN connection is 150/30mbit
Any Ideas? 87U? 88U is worth of that? Maybe something other?

An RT-AC68U is above your RT-AC66U's. With RMerlin firmware, I am sure you can use it as you indicate.

The RT-AC88U is the way to go if your VPN performance needs are high. The RT-AC87U should not be considered for purchase even at giveaway prices.

The RT-AC87U should not be considered for purchase even at giveaway prices.
Well, I purchased recently a 87U (after my 68U was bricked during firmware update) and do not have any issues so far: The range is better and the performance is great (due to 2 separate CPUs for 2.4 / 5 GHz WLAN) for my 5 GHz clients. :)

I know that many people claim to have issues, but they sounded to me to much "specific to their situation" to find a common line of issues with the router... :rolleyes:

:) And that is the problem:) Some people are saying that ac87 is complete crap, some that is fine... It is true that is difficult to find why there are some problems with 5ghz on ac87...
What about RC-AC3200? What is the real difference between it and ac88? Except 8/4 ethernet ports...

(after my 68U was bricked during firmware update
i didnt think it was possible to brick the 68u as it has firmware restoration tool and boot wait reload

What about RC-AC3200?
its a tri band router that is 1300M on 2 x 5 gig bands ans and 600M on 2.4 gig

ac88? Except 8/4 ethernet ports...

its dual band but has 5 gig 2156M and 2.4 gig 1000M

the asus rt-ac68u or asus rt-3200ac is all you really need or can utilise to their max at this stage anyway as we dont have adapters for anything above these yet

i didnt think it was possible to brick the 68u as it has firmware restoration tool and boot wait reload
You can read here the full story... :rolleyes: Overclocking was blamed to cause the issue (NVRAM corruption) - even if worked for 3 years... :eek:

Overclocking was blamed
well that is totally different and is not the norm as under normal firmware update failure conditions the recovery boot sequence will work every time with a;ll the asus models as its a test i do as part of my testing , 0verclocking is at the users rick and voids any claim to warranty

the asus rt-ac68u or asus rt-3200ac is all you really need or can utilise to their max at this stage anyway as we dont have adapters for anything above these yet
I read today a lot about all asus devices and.. Your advice is similar to my findings:) Thanks.
Now I am thinking only about rt-ac68U (68P is not available in eu:( ) and 3200U.
Thinking about next years and e.g. Merlin support, I believe that 3200 will be longer supported because of firmware.
But it costs more...

Is there possibility to set guest network on 3200U to use second-physical 5ghz network? To not interfere with my devices?

Another pick would be Omnia Turris that I heard about today, but it is future and none knows how will it work...:)

Is there possibility to set guest network on 3200U to use second-physical 5ghz network?

depend on how you want to set it up , you can just run not in smart connect mode and have the 3 separate transmissions and olny give guests the lower 5 gig ssid and passphrase leaving the higher 5 gig ch for yourself

however they may be able to see your shares etc , you can use the guest wifi for the lower band but im not 100% sure if you can bandwidth limit on the guest network

the other factor is what type of internet are you connected to as it maybe that your internet connection could be the bottle neck

depend on how you want to set it up , you can just run not in smart connect mode and have the 3 separate transmissions and olny give guests the lower 5 gig ssid and passphrase leaving the higher 5 gig ch for yourself

however they may be able to see your shares etc , you can use the guest wifi for the lower band but im not 100% sure if you can bandwidth limit on the guest network

the other factor is what type of internet are you connected to as it maybe that your internet connection could be the bottle neck
I have 150/30mbit connection. I know that both of those routers have faster WAN, but I need local network to be fast.
I don't need to limit bandwidth for guests (if someone will abuse this connection I will block him:) ), only give them guest access without local network access.
I realised, that "smart" connect should be enough smart (my wishes?) to use another physical device automatically for guests when someone will use this guest network.. Normally it should use all antennas for local users.

---------
I decided to buy RT-AC68U - if anyone would have similar problem like mine, I recommend it:)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!