What's new

Changing USB drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bluemosh

Occasional Visitor
So recently I was able to get a great deal from Amazon Warehouse a 16GB Sandisk high-speed USB stick, for around £4, to replace the dodgy 2gb USB drive currently plugged into the back of my router.

What I'm wondering how I can migrate the data to the new stick, is there any way I can do this through windows? As my DSL-AC68U only has a single USB port. any suggestions would be great! I'm also planning to up the swap file size to 2GB from 256MB, not sure there'll be any performance boosts but I'll definitely be happier knowing there's a good drive running USB 3.0 as well!

̶I̶̶'̶̶m̶̶ ̶̶n̶̶o̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶u̶̶r̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶f̶̶ ̶̶P̶̶a̶̶s̶̶s̶̶m̶̶a̶̶r̶̶k̶̶'̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶I̶̶m̶̶a̶̶g̶̶e̶̶U̶̶S̶̶B̶̶ ̶̶c̶̶a̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶c̶̶l̶̶o̶̶n̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶2̶̶G̶̶B̶̶ ̶̶U̶̶S̶̶B̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶o̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶n̶̶e̶̶w̶̶ ̶̶1̶̶6̶̶G̶̶B̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶I̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶o̶̶u̶̶n̶̶d̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶p̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶e̶̶r̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶h̶̶e̶̶r̶̶e̶̶i̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶@̶̶h̶̶e̶̶s̶̶l̶̶o̶̶ ̶̶c̶̶l̶̶o̶̶n̶̶e̶̶d̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶U̶̶S̶̶B̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶ With regards to upgrading your swap file amtm does the trick.

UPDATE:

I just tried the ImageUSB app. Unfortunately, it'll only work for same-sized USB drives.

Passmark's disclosure: "Warning: Due to the forensic nature of image duplication by ImageUSB, please ensure that you select UFDs with a storage size similar to the image you wish to duplicate. For example, if a 2GB image is copied to an 8GB USB Flash Drive, the drive will only be able to use two out of the eight gigabytes of storage space."

UPDATE 2:

The free version of MiniTool ShadowMaker works! I cloned the contents on my 2GB USB drive to a 32GB 3.1 OTG Flash drive. It did not shrink my 32GB flash drive and it works as intended.

More info on how to use it here

Last edited:
So recently I was able to get a great deal from Amazon Warehouse a 16GB Sandisk high-speed USB stick, for around £4, to replace the dodgy 2gb USB drive currently plugged into the back of my router.

What I'm wondering how I can migrate the data to the new stick, is there any way I can do this through windows? As my DSL-AC68U only has a single USB port. any suggestions would be great! I'm also planning to up the swap file size to 2GB from 256MB, not sure there'll be any performance boosts but I'll definitely be happier knowing there's a good drive running USB 3.0 as well!

I just got help with this here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/drive-failing.65090/

̶
[/I]
UPDATE 2:

The free version of MiniTool ShadowMaker works! I cloned the contents on my 2GB USB drive to a 32GB 3.1 OTG Flash drive. It did not shrink my 32GB flash drive and it works as intended.

More info on how to use it here

Ok sounds great, I'll give you a go thanks!