What's new

Channel Selection in Multi-Access Point/Bridge Environment (with lots of 3p network interference)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stu

New Around Here
I'd like to get people's thoughts on whether it is better to have all of one's access points on a single channel or on multiple channels in an environment with lots of third party network interference.

Background
[sorry for the intermittent blue text]

My network components:
-20gb dedicate ethernet connection, business service.
-Main router ASUS RT-AC86U (~2 years old), in upstairs office with ooma office base station and one desktop wired and another laptop wirelessly connected to 5g signal, networked printer wirelessly connected to 2.4g signal.
-Downstairs Linksys Wireless Access Point N300 Dual Band (WAP300N) connected by ethernet to main router, set to transmit in 5g, one person consistently connecting directly this AP via wireless.
-Two ASUS, EA-N6, set to act as extenders of the Linksys AP's channel in a daisy chain to back office, where one laptop is consistently to resulting 5g signal. One of the EA-N6's is in the kitchen between the AP and the back office. The other is in the back office.

Physical environment:
Old pier with lots of thick cast iron in walls and ceiling and floor, including between downstairs access point and back office. Not an easy way to run cable to a place closer to back office.

Tech company on floor below us.

Signal environment:
Crazy crowded, especially in 2.4g. Downstairs tech company appears to have like 20 guest networks in addition to non-guest networks, in addition other offices in pier have networks, as well as restaurant nearby. In our own office suite, we also have several networks of our officemates, one on 5g, rest on 2.4. 5g network is using airport, which does not allow you to lower to 20 mhz.

My current signal configuration:
Because of the congestion in the 2.4g space, as mentioned, I set Linksys AP and the Asus bridges to 5g, and set the AP and the bridges to the 20 mhz channel with the least amount of congestion, and then set the my main router's 5g signal to the same channel. I also set the 2.4 channel of the main router to the least congested, but I don't really have an issue with it.

Result
Connection in the upstairs office is fine, as is the connection in the office near the Linksys AP; however, access in the back office can be slow and droppy, especially if there is another person trying to connect back there. Both EA-N6's signals are accessible in the back office. However, that of the one in the back office is generally (but not always) better. In the back office, you can see the AP's signal but not connect to it. Downstairs near the AP, you can connect to both the main router's signal and the AP's signal.

Cheers,

Stu
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrT...g/EAN66//RK=0/RS=1F.ksk3JqvseJzhNndXkm3RwzYs-

Dump the consumer gear - seriously... it's good for the home, but as you can see, it's not working for you.

rethink the AP's and go for something more focused on a coordinated approach using a wireless lan controller - there are quite a few options there - Engenius has some good options, so does Ubuitiy with their business oriented AP's - and those are both reasonable in cost, and good performance.

Right on. It without question has been a long running struggle of which I have mainly been on the losing end, with occasional temporary (and thus false) victories.

I see you are in SF; however, do you know any good freelancers in the SF area that I could hire to set up the coordinated approach you describe or is this something that an "advanced user" type like myself should be able to set up without spending to much time?

Appreciate the advice and thanks in advance for further thoughts.

I see you are in SF; however, do you know any good freelancers in the SF area that I could hire to set up the coordinated approach you describe or is this something that an "advanced user" type like myself should be able to set up without spending to much time?

Appreciate the advice and thanks in advance for further thoughts.

I'm based in the SAN, not the SFO... lots of good folks up there though...

Yep, meant to say that you were in SD. Let me know if you have anyone you'd recommend. Private message obviously fine.

If others have suggestions, please do the same.