What's new

Cheapest NAS offsite backup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xraptorx

New Around Here
Hello All,

I have been thinking of using S3 as the offsite backup for a future NAS I want to buy, however, depending on the amount of data, that can also become expensive. If I was to back up 5TB of movies, TV and Music, and I used the Glacier option, I believe it would cost $600 a year.

Thus, I would prefer to not back up such large amounts of "fun" files and only back up very valuable information. Is there another option for offsite backup? What do you guys typically do?

Amazon S3 is among the, or is the lowest cost I've found. Most other cloud storage services limits file size to, say, 2 or 4 GB. So a NAS backup has to split the backup.
My Synology has an S3 client built-in; perhaps so too does QNAP and others.

Amazon has a new service called Glacier. Very low cost per month, but retrieval costs can be high for low-mid volume users. It's intended of mass archiving where required by regulations. Not sure it's viable at the 100GB level.

Big files going out need LOTS of upstream bandwidth/speed. More than most SOHO and residential users have. With this constraint, the best choice is not to use a cloud for offsite. Use USB/eSATA drives physically away or in fireproof safe.

Second to S3, I've found, is CrashPlan - no file size limit.
JungleDisk is an S3 reseller. Good but they like others mark-up S3 about 20%.
CloudBerry is free/shareware front-end to S3.
OpenDrive seems to have put their sins behind them. Small file size limit unless you pay $300/yr or so.

Again, for NAS backups, a push out your modem can be really too slow. Unless your SOHO/biz has a 10-50Mbps upstream (to-cloud). That's very $$$.

Last edited: