What's new

Choice for a new router + aimesh node combo today....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

giangievo

New Around Here
After years of service i'm figuring out that it's time to replace my RT-AC87U + RP-AC68U combo, i have a large house and need to have both a good wired coverage and wifi, i have the opportunity to purchase a RT-AX88U and a RT-AX58U combo at a really good price, or even 2x Rt-AX88U. Reading about the AX discussions here i was asking about this choice, or a couple of RT-AC86U, always in aimesh mode would be a better choice (price would be approx the same as the ax ones), or there is something better? Suggestions welcome, thanks in advance.

If your budget includes 2x RT-AX88U's, anything else you buy will be a downgrade. :)

With ax not being finalized... I'd wait and get the 86u.with them now adding 6ghz to wifi ax/wifi 6, unless your willing to upgrade again or miss out on 6ghz wifi.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Waiting another year to get a 'finalized' AX router seems foolish when the current RT-AC87U + RP-AC68U combo is running out of breath today. :)

Buying the RT-AX88U router will bring much-improved performance and almost everything AX can give today. And, being an Asus router, into the future too.

Sure, save a few dollars today to get a bigger upgrade in about a year, or, make a big upgrade today to a known quantity and not need to move until needed in the medium/far future. ;)

See my signature for the benefits I saw moving from an RT-AC86U to an RT-AX88U just a few weeks ago.

After years of service i'm figuring out that it's time to replace my RT-AC87U + RP-AC68U combo, i have a large house and need to have both a good wired coverage and wifi, i have the opportunity to purchase a RT-AX88U and a RT-AX58U combo at a really good price, or even 2x Rt-AX88U. Reading about the AX discussions here i was asking about this choice, or a couple of RT-AC86U, always in aimesh mode would be a better choice (price would be approx the same as the ax ones), or there is something better? Suggestions welcome, thanks in advance.

Netgear Orbi.

Many thanks for the replies...... I understand that AX is not finalized yet, but i'm actually in the need of purchasing a new router now, maybe one powerful unit alone could be enough but i have the chance to purchase two at a very good price, so Aimesh sounds very interesting, also due to the the fact that my house is completely wired and i can put a wired node at the opposite site of where router is located.... Netgear Orbi is an interesting option, but i would prefer to remain in Asus family, i'm a quite familiar with these, and, important, Merlin firmware and support are a real plus, in my opinion..... As regards AX devices....I actually have zero of these, first will be in next month a Huawei Mate X, so it's not a main concern, but the fact that passing from 86U to 88AX sounds like a good improvement i think i will go on the 2 x AX88 route, having a good and stable WIFI 2.4/5ghz would just be a great improvement compared to my actual situation of really unstable wifi with the 87U/Rp86 combo...
P.s.Please don't blame me for my poor english, i'm trying to do my best of italian guy.....:)

Last edited:
Hi!
I just setup 2 x AX88 routers with latest ASUS stock firmware in Aimesh but connected via Ethernet cable.
Which are the best settings to pull out the best from this configuration?
My master router is connected to fiber optic modem (1Gb down/200Mb up).
Thank you

If you guys are looking for reliable WiFi why not check out Ruckus WiFi? It can mesh too and do a lot more since it’s true enterprise grade using the unleashed firmware which doesn’t require any support contracts.

If you guys are looking for reliable WiFi why not check out Ruckus WiFi?

Is't enough to check the price of 4x4 Wave 2 APs from Ruckus. One only is more expensive than AIO router like RT-AX88U. Yes, it's on another level of performance, but the price is on another level too. For a home setup with limited number of clients Ubiquiti UniFi and TP-Link Omada are more affordable, but a proper high performance setup including gigabit router + switch with PoE + network controller + good access points won't be cheap either.

@giangievo could get more performance and really seamless roaming between APs by reusing RT-AC68U as router only (with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, if he wants enhanced options) + TL-SG108PE switch (8-Port Gigabit + Smart + PoE) + OC200 Omada Cloud Controller (controls the APs settings and roaming technologies) + 2 x EAP245 Omada APs (Class AC1750, 3x3). Everything for $300 or less. The setup requires some reading, but not so difficult. This is probably the best price/performance ratio equipment from small business class.

Is't enough to check the price of 4x4 Wave 2 APs from Ruckus. One only is more expensive than AIO router like RT-AX88U. Yes, it's on another level of performance, but the price is on another level too. For a home setup with limited number of clients Ubiquiti UniFi and TP-Link Omada are more affordable, but a proper high performance setup including gigabit router + switch with PoE + network controller + good access points won't be cheap either.

@giangievo could get more performance and really seamless roaming between APs by reusing RT-AC68U as router only (with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, if he wants enhanced options) + TL-SG108PE switch (8-Port Gigabit + Smart + PoE) + OC200 Omada Cloud Controller (controls the APs settings and roaming technologies) + 2 x EAP245 Omada APs (Class AC1750, 3x3). Everything for $300 or less. The setup requires some reading, but not so difficult. This is probably the best price/performance ratio equipment from small business class.

Check out used ruckus r710 which go about $185-$250 now. I picked up 3x r710 wave 2 4x4 radio each for $185 back in sept 2019. I rarely see a ruckus go bad. It’s a good time now when you see large companies upgrade now to the r750 (WiFi 6)...and the r710 can be bought cheap used... it’s at least an opinion for better hardware.

I ended purchasing two rt–ax88u, configured the first one as router and the other ad mesh node, configuration was quite simple and system seems to be stable, at the moment no problems at all....Thank you for help, much appreciated...

Last edited: