What's new

Choosing a solid mid-range router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

router newb

New Around Here
Hi! I've been doing my homework about router for the last days (still a lot of info to digest) and I' m still undecided about which router I should choose, I'm not looking for top of the line specs but I'd like to get a solid, powerful, mid-range router (100-150€).

So far I've narrowed it down to these models:
  • Linksys WRT1900ACS
  • Asus RT-58u
  • Asus RT-68-u (a bit pricier than the other two)
(I've also looked at the TP-Link c3150, wrt3200, and rt-88u but all of those end up being a little too expensive for my taste, but maybe I can be convinced otherwise hahah)

I'm looking for a strong, reliable signal and a router that could handle a couple of users torrenting and a couple of other connected devices (so, handling multiple connections without getting fried)

But I' m I'm probably missing some interesting options.

What do you think?

ASUS AC68U, ASUS AC66U B1, NETGEAR R7000, TP-Link C2600, Linksys EA6900. Those I can recommend. If you want to stick to stock firmware, you can't beat ASUSWRT. The C2600 also allows a lot of stuff to tweak. Firmware on NETGEAR and Linksys routers I find personally lacking

I hadn't looked at the TP-Link c2600 and it seems like a good option too, thanks.

I can algo get a refurb Linksys EA8500 for the same price as the others (around 150€) should I go for it?

In Sweden you get the TP-Link C3150 for 1495, the Asus RT-AC88U for 2690, and the R7800 for 1489, and Linksys EA8500 for 1885. All prices in SEK (1USD=8.50SEK)

@pete y testing

I don't find it "featureless". That's also a matter of how much you need. If you use the advanced page, you'll see it provides almost as much as ASUSWRT

I would vote for an Asus something / Asus anything ... Price/performance-wise I think them competitive and I find their user interface better than most. But, what I really like, is their built-in real time traffic monitor. Hopefully you'll never need it but, when I have trouble, it's a great little tool to have in your tool box.

Over the years I've had several problems with our ISP. Inevitably our ISP will tell me it's my problem but when I see low traffic on my monitor and horrible Internet performance I know I need to be skeptical and look closer at the ISP. So far I've been able to track down every problem and, most of the time, it's been a problem with my ISP. I usually use several tools for troubleshooting but the real time traffic monitor is the first tool I reach for.

Also there's a clever piece of third party software called "RMerlin". It looks and feels like the Asus stock firmware but it's got more than a few tweaks and fixes. My favorite is being able to see what devices are generating traffic and, roughly, how much.

Netgear R7800 with Voxel firmware? Or anything Asus.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!