What's new

Cisco RV220W Wireless Network Security Firewall Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just wondering, I don't need the wireless capabilities of this router. Is there a way to shut/turn off the wireless module? I want to totally turn off the wireless signal not just block wireless traffic. The WAN to LAN speed that this device provides is really what I'm interested in.
Yes, you can disable the radio as well as disconnect the antennas.

Is the DMZ on this device usefull?

What i mean: can i create firewall rules for DMZ -> LAN and reverse?

I like to buy this device coz it's speed since i've a Fibre Internet, but i need necessarily a full supported DMZ.

Thanks Tim

Yes, you can disable the radio as well as disconnect the antennas.

Thanks Tim, your answer was the deciding factor in purchasing this router. UPS dropped it off a few days ago and its been up and running ever since. It was very easy to configure and I must say its fast! It replaced my old RV042. Sorry to see it go, it never gave me a moments worth of trouble. Didn't need the WIFI, other devices on my network, and turning it off was very easy. All in all I'm very pleased with this device.

Thanks again,
Rodney

RV220DW has serious issues

Please, be aware that the current firmware 1.0.1.0 has serious issues with several things. The router may be OK for basic work, but checkout
https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/small-business/routers for issues, which may have an impact to you before purchasing this unit.
I am getting a refund for the unit just purchased, but when/if the issues are resolved, I would probably buy it then. CISCO is in a risky business of losing reputation with the immature beta firmware of this unit.

Could it be that the SMB WiFi products from Cisco are not done by either mother Cisco (Aironet/Airespace) nor Linksys? Thus, these products are in the crack?

RV220W All Black or Silver/Black

Just curious, I just ordered the RV220W from ProVantage and although the pictures showed an all black housing for the router, I got a silver and black router? Any ideas as to the differences if any and if anyone has the all black router? Mine came in as V01 so I figured it is Version 1. Is the all black router a V02?

If anyone has the all black model, could you tell me where you bought it?

Thanks!

Titomus

Just curious, I just ordered the RV220W from ProVantage and although the pictures showed an all black housing for the router, I got a silver and black router? Any ideas as to the differences if any and if anyone has the all black router? Mine came in as V01 so I figured it is Version 1. Is the all black router a V02?

If anyone has the all black model, could you tell me where you bought it?

Thanks!

Titomus
That sounds like the RV120W model not the 220

Please, be aware that the current firmware 1.0.1.0 has serious issues with several things. The router may be OK for basic work, but checkout
https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/small-business/routers for issues, which may have an impact to you before purchasing this unit.
I am getting a refund for the unit just purchased, but when/if the issues are resolved, I would probably buy it then. CISCO is in a risky business of losing reputation with the immature beta firmware of this unit.

That is a pretty serious issue alright, just spent 20mins reading up on the user issues with it...

see the thread below before you consider buying this device, I was looking for something to replace my wndr3700 but I will hold off for the moment bah!
https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3329751#3329751

RV220W All Black or Silver/Black

That sounds like the RV120W model not the 220

Well both the RV120W and the RV220W come in Silver/Black color scheme and I'm sure I ordered and have in my hand the RV220W. Odd though that the pictures in most websites shows an all black RV220W except places like NewEgg which shows a Silver/Black RV220W (hence why I didn't order from NewEgg and did order from ProVantage).

Anyone have and own an all black RV220W??

New Firmware fro RV220w

Released from CISCO:

RV220W-Firmware-1.0.2.4.img
Release Date: 19/AUG/2011
RV220W Firmware Version 1.0.2.4
Size: 20220.13 KB (20705408 bytes)

This may fix the PPOE problem?

1.0.2.4 fixes many problems, but ....

As the features of the RV220W currently are the best for my purpose (WLAN, SNMP, IPSec VPN, 6in4 tunnel), I decided to not return the unit.
The 1.0.2.4 firmware is an improvement, but the unit still has many smaller or larger issues.
I have compiled the official issues from the release notes (16 of 21) and those I have observed (currently 23) in a bugzilla at http://bugzilla.jth.net
Please, feel free to add new ones or solutions to old ones.

I consider it a bad decision of Cisco not to cooperate with me about documenting and solving the bugs I have found.

Last edited:
As the features of the RV220W currently are the best for my purpose (WLAN, SNMP, IPSec VPN, 6in4 tunnel), I decided to not return the unit.
The 1.0.2.4 firmware is an improvement, but the unit still has many smaller or larger issues.
I have compiled the official issues from the release notes (16 of 21) and those I have observed (currently 23) in a bugzilla at http://bugzilla.jth.net

I consider it a bad decision of Cisco not to cooperate with me about documenting and solving the bugs I have found.

I just bought an RV220W last week. I called the store today to ask about how I could return it. The firmware on this unit is clearly not ready for prime time, and some of the workarounds suggested in the release notes are a joke. Maybe things will get sorted out in a future version of the firmware, but who knows...

If this unit did what it was advertised to do I would be pleased. Unfortunately it doesn't.

This is both very cool and admirable.

I would recommend pointing the URL to the actual Buglist to make it more transparent.

The reviewer (Doug Reid) stated he tested all the VPN capabilities using Windows 7 x64.

Any chance someone can explain how you can do the SSL VPN with x64 Win7? The release notes tend to indicate it can't be done, and yet Doug says it can. I would love to hear how you can do it.

Thanks for your posting on SSL VPN! I retested Win 7 64 and SSL VPN, and had mixed results.

I verified my original test with Win 7 64, but I also found a problem using a second laptop with Win 7 64.

However, I got the second Win 7 64 laptop to work with SSL VPN and the RV220W by using a Netgear Virtual Passage driver.

We're going to post an update to the review shortly. You'll find more details there.

Doug Reid
Update posted

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the RV220W support the Cisco VPN Client 5.x?

I currently put in ASA devices at most of my clients, but this might be a lower cost option. Just want to stay with one VPN client.

QuickVPN HELP!

Ok, I'm a complete newb at this. I am trying to establish a VPN connection from work to my home LAN, and I'm having issues. Since the bandwidth seemed to be the best from the IPSec connection, and it seemed like it should be easy, I thought I would setup a QuickVPN connection.

When I tried from work, it couldn't connect. So, I tried to ping, but found out that wasn't working until I allowed it on the router. So, I can now ping the router from work successfully.

But, I am clearly a moron on how to setup the IPSec QuickVPN User. Here are my questions.

1.) Do I need to select VPN Client or Gateway (or does it matter for my purpose) in the VPN -> IPSec -> Basic VPN Settings page. Anything else I need to put there? I see it has my WAN IP address in there when it is on the Gateway selection.

2.) Do I need to do anything in the Advance VPN Settings page?

3.) On the VPN Users page, do I need to enable PPTP?

4.) I think I just now added to users; I was somehow confused by adding SSLVPN Users earlier. I guess these are not the same because I couldn't put in the same username. Under the protocol I have it the two users as QUICKVPN. Under the ENABLED spots, the two users both have NA. Is this correct?

Sorry to be a pain, but I am a little clueless and it's hard to constantly go back and forth to work to check if it works! :)

Thanks for the reply. There wasn't any documentation besides a quick start guide, so that is helpfull. I guess maybe it's all on CD. After Onsale orgiinally sent me a RV120, I was excited to hook everything up when I finally got the RV220W (For 80 bucks...SWEET...if I can get it to work), so I never even looked at the CD since I knew that I probably needed to update firmware.

I have Norton 360 Premier edition. So, I guess that's using Symantec's own Firewall; I'm wondering if that's the problem. I guess I can disable it and use Windows Firewall instead.

Boo...I just tried that and it's still not working. I guess I've got something configured improperly on the router?!?!

Are there any other devices similar to this one that are worth considering? I'm looking for good wireless performance (good signal) and VPN functionality.

Thanks!