What's new

Cisco RV32x Firmware 1.3.1.12 supports OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bernard038

Regular Contributor
Hello All,

Yesterday i've upgraded my Cisco RV320 to the latest firmware, version 1.3.1.12. This version comes with a nice surpise, OpenVPN is supported. Which basically means that Windows 10 users, finally have an option again to have a VPN connection with the RV, without having to resort to exotic solutions...

Nice. I would love to see a throughput benchmark of their OpenVPN implementation, see if they leverage any kind of AES HW acceleration.

Nice. I would love to see a throughput benchmark of their OpenVPN implementation, see if they leverage any kind of AES HW acceleration.

Should be comparable to the EasyVPN SSL solution - depends on how they built openvpn and the options on openssl...

Some folks look down on the Cavium processors (this is a dual core MIPS64r3 @ 300MHz, but don't let that fool anyone, Cavium has some very good crypto acceleration, and excellent bandwidth..

Should be comparable to the EasyVPN SSL solution - depends on how they built openvpn and the options on openssl...

Some folks look down on the Cavium processors (this is a dual core MIPS64r3 @ 300MHz, but don't let that fool anyone, Cavium has some very good crypto acceleration, and excellent bandwidth..

sfx2000, sorry, but wristwatches look down at a 300MHz processor today. :D:D

sfx2000, sorry, but wristwatches look down at a 300MHz processor today. :D:D

True true - but at the same time, Cavium's are different beasts, and the CPU is pretty much just control plane stuff, so it's more than sufficient given the rest of the capability of the chip...

Having HW crypto in the SoC isn't sufficient. It also requires the chip vendor to provide software support. Unfortunately Open VPN/SSL seems not having the blessing. The same chip clocked at 500MHz with HW crypto can push IPsec around 200Mbps.