What's new

Clone NAS drive with (e.g.) Acronis?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevech

Part of the Furniture
I'm thinking of trying this, to get a solid backup of my NAS OS drive volume (non-RAID), before I take-a-chance on the major NAS OS (DSM) upgrade. (Synology DSM 4.3 now).
  1. Shut down NAS (and it's attached USB3 backup 2TB disk). The 2nd drive in the NAS is a separate file system/volume for Time Backup (last 6 months of file versions)
  2. Remove primary volume disk. It's 2TB. Probably has multiple partitions. It's Linux/Extfs4 I think.
  3. Connect via SATA or USB3 to windows PC.
  4. Run Acronis True Image and choose CLONE (I've done clone of windows drives very frequently).
  5. Clone from that drive to a USB3 or SATA connected 2TB target drive.
  6. Put the clone into the NAS and see if it will boot the NAS OS and appear identical.
I do have lots of backups, but not a clone that's bootable, as I do by habit with Windows - as an anti-malware tactic.
I think Acronis will clone without rejecting the disk format being perhaps non-MBR.

I don't know if Acronis can handle EXT4 filesystems can it? If not, you could always clone the drive RAW. Cloning it RAW would probably be better for multi-partition too (my QNAP has 2 or 3 hidden partitions on the main drive, including swap).

The methodology looks sound, I've just never tried it.

Might be an opportunity to dump the shares (Samba, DLNA, etc) over to an attached external, then nuke and pave, apply the update, and then restore the files...

I get a bit worried about an image backup, not knowing what Synology does with the filesystem owners/groups and do they run any of their software on the drives, or all in a dedicated Disk on Chip.

One could end up with an add hybrid update...

BTW - does Acronis need to have the file system mountable in order to clone? If so, most NT based OS's won't have a file system driver for EXT3 or EXT4... so that might be a problem.

I use DriveImage XML rather than Acronis and it DOES require the file system to be mountable in order to backup the filesystem. However, it can clone a drive physically, sector-by-sector (RAW) and I've used it in the past to clone EXT3/4 drives from a Windows machine.

I'm assuming that the clone doesn't care about file systems - a partition is just a bunch of sectors?
Not doing file system backup.
That is, CLONE is not a drive image in the sense that Acronis et al do backups called images. Acronis and others have an additional option: clone, the entire drive.

I do have a USB3 backup of all the shares, but I want to just clone the drive rather than start from scratch.

(N/A but I have some freeware for windows that will mount an extfs drive. I used to use it when I ran my USB3 backup connected to the NAS formatted extfs to be faster. Now I leave the drive as NTFS and the backups take longer, but oh well.)

Last edited:
Ah, then what you're talking about and what I'm talking about are the same - backing up the physical drive, sector by sector. DIXML calls that "RAW" mode. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.

I'll find out!

Yeah, I'm used to the terminolgy
"clone" means sector verbatim. I guess it'll copy boot block and partition if they exist.
"image" means backup selected partition(s), writing into a file, which means parsing the file system to some extent.

I'll find out!

Yeah, I'm used to the terminolgy
"clone" means sector verbatim. I guess it'll copy boot block and partition if they exist.
"image" means backup selected partition(s), writing into a file, which means parsing the file system to some extent.

Comes down the the ISO stack, eh?

Samba/DLNA servers are App layer... so are your files to a large extent...

Go down to the block layer, it's all physical...

In any event, I think you're taking a fairly prudent approach - backing up data somehow/somewhere before pushing a major firmware release on a NAS box - most times it's ok, sometimes it's not... so having a backup is always good...

I have several backups!
My cloning goal is to have a bootable backup with which to revert if I must!

indeed. But to do a gawd-awful
# dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/sdY bs=512 conv=noerror,sync
With the NAS shut off and the to-be-cloned disk removed, I'd have to boot my Linux Mint drive on my PC.
May as well use Windows/Acronis clone, methinks. It has a GUI.

And I'd get the wrong /dev/sda? <ha!>

Indeed - and even with GUI's, sometimes things go wrong - I watched a guy replace a bad disk in a RAID1 array, and when he brought it online to rsync the mirror - went the wrong way and mirrored the new empty drive to the old "good" drive - and it happened almost instantly...

So, lesson learned there - paying attention is very critical - and if you have a way to test/verify the cloned disk or image, that's a must do before making any changes to the parent disk.

That's one reason I like to backup partitions with a program that supports VSS. It's working from a copy instead of the actual partition itself.

VSS won't help if one does a backwards clone! oops,

Well, in my case, it was a Man-Machine Interface Error with the IBM Field Tech - just goes to show...

And Free sometimes has an intangible cost.. it's not that they're better or worse, but Ease of Use has a value-add all it's own.

SteveCH asked for something that is "cheap", and Linux has Free Tools, but sometimes it's better to get something like Acronis Drive Image/SuperDuper/CopyCopyCloner...

Yeah, data risks... I don't buy cheap drives, use refurbs, etc. I don't use freeware for drive backups.

Yes, freeware can work. Paid-for products can have bugs. But so far. Acronis has come through for me when I needed it. Such as quickly booting a cloned OS drive on my PC when despite my best care, malware got in and I could not get rid of it in an hour. I cannot say drive failure led me to use clones or backups. Not in the last 8 years or so. Luck, or better QA in drives, or whatever.

My data and my time are more important that saving a few bux.

The Time Backup file versioning in my Synology has really saved my butt many times when I hosed up a file or had to revert due to honking up some C code on a project (consulting work). Or my financials.

Last edited:
Yeah, data risks... I don't buy cheap drives, use refurbs, etc. I don't use freeware for drive backups.
My data and my time are more important that saving a few bux.

True, true...

What did you settle on then?

This would be useful for others that might run across this thread.

I used to consider WD as best of breed. Still think they're a better risk than Seagate, on average. But like most tech, they all have lemons; can't-work-well products. Hitachi used to be exceptional. Today, I can't say. I rely exclusively on Samsung for SSDs - which are the best thing since sliced-bread.

My NAS is Synology. Good backup tools (I use several, primarily their Time Backup for versioning back 6 months). Its folder backup to USB3. And to a big SD card for VIP files.

PC drive imaging and drive cloning (I do both): Acronis True Image. Love it. Hate it. The UI has gotten much better in the 2015 editions. Price varies wildly per retailer and season.

I re-habituated to store only certain work-in-process on the PC's SSD (500GB). For speed, e.g., big multi-file C programming. 100% of work in process is also copied to NAS by automation from the below...

PC Desktop VIP work in process backups to NAS: Centered Systems' SecondCopy. Love it. I use it for current projects and living documents. Once the project is done, I remove that task.

SafeHouse Software's SafeHouse (free version) for encrypted virtual disk for private medical/financial info. By far, quickest UI to mount/open and use files. One click, password, go.

ADrive for on-line backups where if it's private or proprietary, I encrypt via winzip before uploading. So only I know how to decrypt. I used OpenDrive for years, but ADrive's 100GB for $25/yr is irresistible. (I tried/rejected most of the others: AWS, Googledrive, Dropbox, Crashplan, and many more. Some don't do passworded access to shared files; some are backup-only; some are resellers of others'. I use encrypted zip on ADrive for VVIP and off-site storage (anti-theft-of-NAS), and sharing with password access. Biggest risk with these companies is the disgruntled employee or contractor.. just ask Dropbox or OpenDrive.

I rate my greatest data loss risk as: Theft Of NAS (et al). Next-greatest risk: human error. I feel that for SOHO, drive failure in a 2-bay, 2-volume is way down the risk list, with 1-2-3 backups. Risk of drive failure goes up with the drive count! Ask any small-NAS RAID5 user.

1-2-3 philosophy in backups, or more
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheComputerBackupRuleOfThree.aspx

Last edited: