What's new

Cloud Backup of NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adrock1120

New Around Here
I recently purchased the Synology DS415play and I currently have it loaded with 2 6TB drives. I have about 4TB of media and every week I use a mirror backup to copy drive 1 to drive 2. Now, I have spent enough time and energy amassing this collection, I want to also backup to the cloud, just to be safe.

Can anyone recommend a good unlimited cloud backup service that allows you to backup the contents of a mapped NAS drive in Windows? I was looking at Backblaze but they flat out state that they refuse (as purely a business decision) to allow people to backup NAS devices. I have seen other forums/articles say to use CrashPlan and SOS and LiveDrive.

I was just hoping someone could recommend something that they use and have had no issues with. Thanks, in advance.

Assuming Synology is similar to the QNAP, you can load CrashPlan directly on the NAS. It will run "headless" though, so you'll need to load CrashPlan on your windows computer and connect to the crashplan running on the NAS in order to control it. There are instructions if you Google for them. It's not plug-n-play, and since CrashPlan is a Java app, expect it to eat memory.

The alternative is to use ISCSI from your Synology. Once you've mounted a ISCSI volume on Windows, windows thinks of it as a local drive. Of course this means only your computer can access the data which kinda defeats the purpose of having a NAS.

Just know that unless you've got FIOS, expect MONTHS to upload that data. They offer "seed" drives, but they cap the size at 1TB. (They say it can hold 2TB compressed, but if your collection is movies and music, you won't see any compression). Also their "Restore to Door" option of shipping your data back to you maxes at 3.5TB, anything more will have to go over the wire. Now you see how they can offer "unlimited" cloud backups...

NAS to cloud... way too much data. Too insecure if any data is sensitive.
Unlimited is quite expensive. I use Adrive - good prices. But not for 100's of GB or some TB.

Best to use USB3 or some such local drives. Keep out of thieves' sight.

Just know that unless you've got FIOS, expect MONTHS to upload that data.

This is what I am worried about. Even though several services claim that they don't throttle upstream data, I am still concerned that it would take forever to actually get everything up to the cloud. Also, in the meantime, if I continue to add more media at a decent clip locally, then I might never actually get everything backed up.

Unlimited is quite expensive. I use Adrive - good prices. But not for 100's of GB or some TB.

I'm with you on this, but the whole point in backing it up also offsite is in the event that something major happens at my home. Be it a huge power surge (yes, everything is on UPS and surge protectors) or some physical event that compromises both the primary HDD and the backup HDD. This is why I am trying to come up with a solution for offsite.

I guess, at the end of the day, I could just purchase more hard drives and physically take one to my office for safe keeping. The problem is every time I make a change, I have to repeat that process all over again.

i have about 2tb of data on a usb3 external drive, which I use one as a backup and one live. every month or so I use winmerge (you can use rsync as well) to sync just the changes between the two, doesnt really take that long. of course i am comfortable with a months data loss, ymmv.

Depends on the cloud in use - I've got Iron Mountain for business critical document storage left over from my old engineering consultancy...

Backblaze is very good, and one to consider...

Right... backup VIP/critical data.
Most people here ask about doing whole-drive, whole-NAS backup to the cloud. That's where my comment 'too much data' comes from.

Cloud storage is not practical for that much data, both for initial upload and if you ever need to recover.

As you noted, backing up to attached drives and rotating them offsite (take to work, safe deposit box, neighbors) is more practical and will provide faster recovery. Use two drives, do incremental backups and rotate the drives periodically

Cloud storage is not practical for that much data, both for initial upload and if you ever need to recover.

As you noted, backing up to attached drives and rotating them offsite (take to work, safe deposit box, neighbors) is more practical and will provide faster recovery. Use two drives, do incremental backups and rotate the drives periodically
That's what I do, and it's automated. Has to be automated or human nature is such that it won't get done. I also do not rely on just one backup set. I use SD card for VVIP, 2nd drive in non-RAID NAS, time-backup with versioning, and rotating incremental on external USB3.

Hello,

Try Syncrify Back Up Solution. It has a lot of useful features I believe. Incremental Back Up will save a lot of your time, Remote Access of your data will create a better control on your data, Daily data scheduling can also be set easily and there are more.

I have been using it from couple of months and it is working very good for me. So I hope that it might help you as well.

I looked at Syncrify... don't need/want it. Don't want to muck with my NAS OS. With all the backup, versioning, etc., features in my NAS, I've got what's prudent.

As others have said, that amount of data over your WAN might make for a saturation nightmare in many scenarios. You could seed an initial backup , ala. CrashPlan, etc., and go from there, or do a semi-offsite. ie. within several hundreds yards to a few miles, do a wireless bridge or your own cabling to an alternately-powered endpoint and backup to that, without the bottleneck imposed by your ISP... could be an infrastructure hassle, but perhaps worth considering, depending on backup frequency, dataset re-write demand and/or privacy needs.