What's new

Combination NAS/DAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

m downs

New Around Here
Hello,

Are there 2 to 6 bay NAS systems that also function as DAS for local, fast access from a server?

Local connection could be USB 3, or Thunderbolt?

Thanks,
mdd

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply!

I have considered that QNAP NAS.

8 bay is really overkill for my SOHO network. I have had good results with Netgear 2 and 4 bay systems, but the USB ports don't function as USB mass storage devices on a Win10 PC.

Open to other suggestions that are not way too much $ or drive bays.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-news/32814-qnap-shipping-thunderbolt-2-combo-nas-das

8 bays, but you don't need to populate them all at once.

What I would look at instead? An 10GbE capable NAS with a corresponding port on the server that needs that access.

"Synology or QNAP 2 bay. I prefer non-RAID config."

How would you configure in "non-RAID?"

Thanks, Paul.

T
"Synology or QNAP 2 bay. I prefer non-RAID config."

How would you configure in "non-RAID?"

Thanks, Paul.
Simply config 2 bay as two volumes, one per drive. Main drive gets all my shares. 2nd volume is setup in auto-backup to receive most folders on the main volume. And I run Synology's "time backup" (optional, free) to keep file versions on volume 2 for all folders on volume 1 except the ones that contain nothing more than PC drive image backups.
I also backup to USB3 and other media.