What's new

Combine two routers, is it possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

decksandspas

New Around Here
I have been searching the internet for days now searching for information on using two wireless routers for one connection. Here's my thought and my questions.

I have a Buffalo WHR-1200 which really only provides n300 and ac866, I also have an older belkin "surf" n300 router and dual band n600 from netgear.

The buffalo is my primary router, I am wondering if I can use one of these old routers to essentially create an "AC1500" or "AC1800" environment. Giving my wireless N devices more while being on the same network per se.

Is this possible?

I have been searching the internet for days now searching for information on using two wireless routers for one connection. Here's my thought and my questions.

I have a Buffalo WHR-1200 which really only provides n300 and ac866, I also have an older belkin "surf" n300 router and dual band n600 from netgear.

The buffalo is my primary router, I am wondering if I can use one of these old routers to essentially create an "AC1500" or "AC1800" environment. Giving my wireless N devices more while being on the same network per se.

Is this possible?
Hi,
If you are think in terms of speed boost for older router, No. But you can use it as AP to extend range or cascade to have more connections.

It doesn't work like that... can't combine two different radios to add up to a higher "class" level.

I would consider decommissioning the old Belkin Surf N300, and just use the Buffalo WHR-1200...

Alright, dreams are crushed but thank you for ending my search for something not possible. I'll decommission the old Belkin Surf N300 then. One more question when using a router as an AP to extend range, does it make a difference as to what the routers capabilities are; n300, n600 etc. ?

Thanks for your help!

Alright, dreams are crushed but thank you for ending my search for something not possible. I'll decommission the old Belkin Surf N300 then. One more question when using a router as an AP to extend range, does it make a difference as to what the routers capabilities are; n300, n600 etc. ?

Thanks for your help!

Sorry to crush that particular dream...

Don't want to be someone that is beating up on broken dreams... but extended range, that's a vendor promise, and in the real world, well... many Tattered Rainbows and perhaps some Unicorn Tears...

Real World - It ain't like that - poor coverage AP for AP in a single location, just basic physics and RF - not going to get much better, but moving the AP a bit, figure out were most use is, and get the AP closer to the clients.

sfx

Sfx you've been extremely helpful, even as your crushing my dreams. You've probably saved me 40 hours of looking thru useless articles and crappy forums.

Thanks, ill take your advice and get the network going.

Thanks -

The Buffalo WHR-1200 is pretty good gear - Buffalo is a Japanese company, they do good work...

They don't get the recognition of many of the mainline vendors here in the US - I've dealt with their stuff, and it generally just works...

My too often reminder: WiFi is a two-way wireless system.
A million watt Access Point (or WiFi router) won't cure the weakness of the 0.030Watt (transmitter power) WiFi client devices.
A high power AP creates an unbalanced two-way link. One end out-talks (in range) the other.
Much like a rock band's amps out-talk the audience member shouting at the stage.

I agree about Buffalo. They've been around for 20+ years I know of. They got screwed by an Australian University who suddenly claimed a Patent on what we call 802.11/WiFi. Courts ruled that Buffalo infringed and ordered sales in the US (and ?) to cease for some 2 or 3 years.

My old 11g Buffalo WiFi bridge worked well, has good firmware and UI.

I agree about Buffalo. They've been around for 20+ years I know of. They got screwed by an Australian University who suddenly claimed a Patent on what we call 802.11/WiFi. Courts ruled that Buffalo infringed and ordered sales in the US (and ?) to cease for some 2 or 3 years.

Yah, they got screwed by CSRIO... they were low hanging fruit perhaps... and hurt them in the US compared to the other vendors...

Reffering to the first post its actually quite possible to use both routers together if you want to combine different channels of wifi or have 2 routers use the same internet however it is complicated and out of range of consumer devices (you need a full x86 server OS to do this) and a client that supports connecting to multiple wifi APs and networks at the same time (which none do without some serious configuration and use of a linux/unix OS).

So it is possible but out of scope for consumers.

My too often reminder: WiFi is a two-way wireless system.
A million watt Access Point (or WiFi router) won't cure the weakness of the 0.030Watt (transmitter power) WiFi client devices.
A high power AP creates an unbalanced two-way link. One end out-talks (in range) the other.
Much like a rock band's amps out-talk the audience member shouting at the stage.

My old 11g Buffalo WiFi bridge worked well, has good firmware and UI.

Just to make the example clearer, it is like a rock band and an audience member. But the rock band can only play a few cords before it has to stop and the audience member has to shout back that they heard the cords correctly. If the rock band doesn't hear that the audience member heard the cords correctly, they play them over again and wait to try to hear the audience member again. Rinse and repeat. At long ranges, sometimes the rock band can hear, sometime it can't. At even longer ranges, the rock band can't hear the audience member at all. But the audience member will keep trying to listen to the rock band...because it can hear them clearly.

^Anyone want to buy tickets to a concert? - Wonder how a hearing aid works.

Nice Azazel, my son now "gets it".