What's new

Command line to check 87U CPU Temp...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trichard

Occasional Visitor
Hi
I am looking various to find the command line to show the CPU Temp ... so far no found..

Can only know the command line?

Thanks.

For the Quantenna SoC:
Code:
qcsapi_sockrpc get_temperature

For the Broadcom CPU:

Code:
cat /proc/dmu/temperature

No more showing the Bios system page ?

No idea what you are talking about, sorry. A BIOS is something that boots a computer, that has nothing to do with a router.

Hi

I am sorry about asking the wrong words. Kindly ignore my question.. :)

By the way may I know is that anyway to map a network drive to the 87U thumb drive in windows 7/8 ?

Hello ,

In official software , how can we open command line ? please explain.
I login with SSH and putty , but it doesn't show .

Hello ,

In official software , how can we open command line ? please explain.
I login with SSH and putty , but it doesn't show .
Before we go any further:

Did you enable SSH on the "Administration|System" page?

Last edited:
Try this then

My apologies then. I must have misunderstood your post. If you are using one of Merlin's builds the CPU temp will be listed on the "Tools|Sysinfo" page or the "Administration|Performance Tuning" page. I do not know the Linux command to run over telnet or SSH that will tell you the CPU temp. However, Merlin has already answered the original question about the Linux code in post #2.

As for your problems, I would use John's nice little NVRAM setting backup and restore utility. After you backup the settings perform a Hard reset to factory defaults. Then simply do the setup wizard to get your WAN up and running. Then enable telnet and/or SSH on the "Administration|System" page and restore the setting with John's great utility.

Personally, if you use Merlin's firmware(s) along with John's nifty little utility your problems should be almost completely solved. That utility literally turns hours of work in the Router's Web-based GUI to a few linux commands and voilá!

Good luck!

Last edited:
HI Merlin,

First of all, thanks for the firmware work on the 87U, it's appreciated, I am sure, by the entire 87U community!

What's the normal operating temp for the 87U? I am very concerned that mine is showing this:

Uptime
0 days 22 hours 41 minutes 58 seconds
Temperatures 2.4 GHz: 46°C - 5 GHz: 69°C - CPU: 84°C

That's 84°C is really very hot! It can't be normal can it?

I don't have much going on in the router at the moment, and yet it's at that temp. I don't have NAT switched on, (as I have a perimeter router doing that), and firewall is also off. All the QOS stuff is also off. Room ambient temp is around 28°C.

The rest of the details:

CPU
CPU Model
ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l) - (Cores: 2)
CPU Frequency 1000 MHz
CPU Load Average (1, 5, 15 mins) 0.24, 0.07, 0.06

Memory
Total
249.76 MB
Free 179.14 MB
Buffers 3.07 MB
Swap usage 0.00 / 0.00 MB
Internal Storage
NVRAM usage
38498 / 65536 bytes
JFFS 1.73 / 62.75 MB

I have similar temps on both DD-WRT as well as Merlin's latest firmware. I settled on Merlin firmware as DD-WRT is just too buggy and breaks too many things.

Merlin firmware details:
Model RT-AC87U
Firmware Version 378.53
Firmware Build Mon Apr 27 02:38:26 UTC 2015 merlin@c5ef2ea
Bootloader (CFE) 1.0.3.2
Driver version wl0: Mar 12 2015 16:56:18 version 6.37.14.86 (r456083)
Quantenna Firmware v36.7.0.31

Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

For the Quantenna SoC:
Code:

For the Broadcom CPU:

Code:

Last edited:
HI Merlin,

First of all, thanks for the firmware work on the 87U, it's appreciated, I am sure, by the entire 87U community!

What's the normal operating temp for the 87U? I am very concerned that mine is showing this:

Uptime

I don't have much going on in the router at the moment, and yet it's at that temp. I don't have NAT switched on, (as I have a perimeter router doing that), and firewall is also off. All the QOS stuff is also off. Room ambient temp is around 28°C.

The rest of the details:

CPU
CPU Model
ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l) - (Cores: 2)
CPU Frequency 1000 MHz
CPU Load Average (1, 5, 15 mins) 0.24, 0.07, 0.06

Memory
Total
249.76 MB
Free 179.14 MB
Buffers 3.07 MB
Swap usage 0.00 / 0.00 MB
Internal Storage
NVRAM usage
38498 / 65536 bytes
JFFS 1.73 / 62.75 MB

I have similar temps on both DD-WRT as well as Merlin's latest firmware. I settled on Merlin firmware as DD-WRT is just too buggy and breaks too many things.

Merlin firmware details:
Model RT-AC87U
Firmware Version 378.53
Firmware Build Mon Apr 27 02:38:26 UTC 2015 merlin@c5ef2ea
Bootloader (CFE) 1.0.3.2
Driver version wl0: Mar 12 2015 16:56:18 version 6.37.14.86 (r456083)
Quantenna Firmware v36.7.0.31

Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks!
It all depends on ambient temperature. Yesterday was a hot day here and my AC68U cpu (clocked to 1200) reached 86ºC with a room temp of 29ºC. Usual temps these last days have been around 77ºC.

Anyway, make a search then you'll find several threads about this topic.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It all depends on ambient temperature. Yesterday was a hot day here and my AC68U cpu (clocked to 1200) reached 86ºC with a room temp of 29ºC. Usual temps these last days have been around 77ºC.

Anyway, make a search then you'll find several threads about this topic.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Thanks hank81 for the reply.

Yes, I was searching the rest of the forum and people are mentioning their 68U running hotter as well as the 87U, but the thing is I have a friend who is running the very same router 87U with DD-WRT but is reporting temperature of 61ºC (with a fan blowing to it). My worry is on if the CPU in these 87U is able to sustain such high heat for long, or will it start freezing, slowing/shutting down cores?

If it's really rated to go much higher temps, 100+, then I guess that's fine, but I have yet to see any router (at least not the consumer kind) that is supposed to be sustainable with such high temps.

I have resorted to putting a notebook cooler underneath, and this seems to bring down the temps a little, but nowhere near the 61ºC.

Am I worrying for nothing?

For the Quantenna SoC:
Code:

For the Broadcom CPU:

Code:
Infrared image of RT-AC87U :cool: I try to upload raw file (you can download Fluke Smartview to view) but the forum refuses it for not valid file, so I upload simple exported JPG, if the Admin gives me away to share the raw file, I will re-upload.
There are 3 big heatsink from the JPG, the top is radio2.4, middle 5G, bottom cpu.
I put my coffee cup above the heatsink of the cpu or the 5G, this is not a joke, so a small fan at low velocity is good here.

Attachments

• IR000037.jpg
    IR000037.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,176
HI Merlin,

Uptime

Thanks!
my 87u also have today 84C for CPU. Its normal temp.

Today I bought RT-AC87U and it showed CPU temp between 79-83°C.

So, I started to google information about that issue and found this.
As you can see on the photos, thermal paste don't cover the entire area of contact between CPU and radiator. If to re-apply thermal paste throughout the entire area of the compound - this may reduce the temperature slightly.

Tommorow I'm planning to disassemble my ac87 and check thermal paste. I am also considering the option of dismantling the upper part of the ac87 and installing the fan xD

Today I bought RT-AC87U and it showed CPU temp between 79-83°C. So, I started to google information about that issue and found this. As you can see on the photos, thermal paste don't cover the entire area of contact between CPU and radiator. If to re-apply thermal paste throughout the entire area of the compound - this may reduce the temperature slightly. Tommorow I'm planning to disassemble my ac87 and check thermal paste. I am also considering the option of dismantling the upper part of the ac87 and installing the fan xD
Why go through all that trouble (and void your warranty)? I have a mini USB laptop cooler under my AC87R and the CPU temp stays below 60°C, 5GHz temp stays under 53°C and the 2.4GHz temp runs from 38°-43°C. I bought 3 such fans for less than $13US on eBay out of China of course.

My RT-AC87U has been really unstable and VERY hot. I have dismantled it and change the cooling paste with Artic Silver 5. I have also left the top off for now to see if the heat is the problem. Don't care about the warranty....

TjMax for BCM4709 is 120°C.

If you still want to cool the router then don't be fool and get a laptop cooler or a 40mm 5V fan spliced with usb cable . You can easily lower temps by 20-25°C

You are not going to achieve any significant gain reapplying thermal compound and someday you may regret having avoided warranty

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Why go through all that trouble (and void your warranty)? I have a mini USB laptop cooler under my AC87R and the CPU temp stays below 60°C, 5GHz temp stays under 53°C and the 2.4GHz temp runs from 38°-43°C. I bought 3 such fans for less than $13US on eBay out of China of course.

Hi!

Do you have the model or link for these fans? It's really working well if it can reduce the temps by 20 deg C, which is what I wanted. My current temps are around 75 deg C., with a single large fan notebook cooler, which spins very quietly, underneath the router.

Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!