What's new

Compatibility in Merlin version in AiMesh for router & node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jpthsd

Regular Contributor
Hello,
Any concern for forming AiMesh such below

1 - RT-AC86U as router , latest Merlin 384.17
2 - RT-AC68U as AiMesh Node, with Merlin 374.43 LTS release (mine is B1 hardware revision so it is supported by the LTS 374.43)

or should be the Merlin general release for both RT-AC86U & RT-AC68U? (which I have them on now)

Additional question, wondering if anyone's currently running RT-AC86U router & RTAC68U as AiMesh node (of course in Merlin firmware), how is it going with you guys? is it stable?

(I had previous experience with stock firmware on both, the AC86U kept restarting itself after 6, 7 hours use, and every time when modifying the wireless professional roaming assistance and/or roaming block list, router just decided to restarted itself...so I upgraded to Merlin and let it run by itself without Aimesh configuration, seems to be stable last 2 days. However, the Asus tech support chatted with me and advised me to return to Amazon since the unit should not have restarted like that too frequent - but Merlin seems to make it stable...I ordered another AC86U and will return the one on hand now)

Regards,
jh

Thank you very much for everyone input!

I've got an 86U router and 68U AiMesh node both running Merlin 384.17. Set this up last weekend and first time I've used AiMesh and no issues so far. Consistently 10+ devices connected across them at any one time.

I've got an 86U router and 68U AiMesh node both running Merlin 384.17. Set this up last weekend and first time I've used AiMesh and no issues so far. Consistently 10+ devices connected across them at any one time.

Thank you for the info, good to know it's stable!

Much appreciated the additional info so I should stay away from it unless I wanted to run single Router mode no AiMesh support.
You could still use it with John's firmware if you configured it as an access point. But that wouldn't be AiMesh.

update,,,just formed my AiMesh 15 mins ago, AC86U router node, AC68U is AiMesh node. Both are Merlin and restore manufacturer after the Merlin flashed.

So far so good, I have had stable connection. Let's see next couple days if everything is ok!!