What's new

Compiling the firmware for RT-AC56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hardtotell

Regular Contributor
I'm trying to compile the firmware for rt-ac56u. However, it says 'arm-brcm-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc' command not found. Is this simply a PATH issue? Or, do I need to build the ARM cross-compiler?

My build platform is Debian 7.8, amd64.

For the ARM toolchain (RT-AC56U & RT-AC68U), I changed the path and got it working:
Code:
export PATH=$PATH:~/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/toolchains/hndtools-arm-linux-2.6.36-uclibc-4.5.3/bin

I am happy that the ARM cross-compiler is now working. However, after 70 minutes into the build, I get this error while compiling the module "netatalk-3.0.5/etc/afpd" in version 378.52_2:

Code:
arm-brcm-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc: @LIBADD_DL@: No such file or directory

What is "@LIBADD_DL@"?
Is it a missing library?

Output from build:
Code:
Making all in afpd
make[7]: Entering directory `/home/evaluation/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/netatalk-3.0.5/etc/afpd'
make  all-am
make[8]: Entering directory `/home/evaluation/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/netatalk-3.0.5/etc/afpd'
  CC     fce-fce_api.o
  CC     hash-hash.o
  CC     fce-fce_util.o
  CC     afpd-afp_avahi.o
  CC     afpd-afp_config.o
  CC     afpd-afp_dsi.o
  CC     afpd-afp_mdns.o
  CC     afpd-afp_options.o
  CC     afpd-afp_util.o
  CC     afpd-afp_zeroconf.o
  CC     afpd-afprun.o
  CC     afpd-afs.o
  CC     afpd-appl.o
  CC     afpd-auth.o
  CC     afpd-catsearch.o
  CC     afpd-desktop.o
  CC     afpd-dircache.o
  CC     afpd-directory.o
  CC     afpd-enumerate.o
  CC     afpd-extattrs.o
  CC     afpd-fce_api.o
  CC     afpd-fce_util.o
  CC     afpd-filedir.o
  CC     afpd-file.o
  CC     afpd-fork.o
  CC     afpd-hash.o
  CC     afpd-main.o
  CC     afpd-mangle.o
  CC     afpd-messages.o
  CC     afpd-nfsquota.o
  CC     afpd-ofork.o
  CC     afpd-quota.o
  CC     afpd-status.o
  CC     afpd-switch.o
  CC     afpd-uam.o
  CC     afpd-uid.o
  CC     afpd-unix.o
  CC     afpd-volume.o
  CCLD   hash
  CCLD   fce
  CCLD   afpd
../../libatalk/.libs/libatalk.so: warning: the use of OBSOLESCENT `utime' is discouraged, use `utimes'
make[8]: *** [afpd] Error 1
make[8]: Leaving directory `/home/evaluation/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/netatalk-3.0.5/etc/afpd'
make[7]: *** [all] Error 2
make[7]: Leaving directory `/home/evaluation/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/netatalk-3.0.5/etc/afpd'
make[6]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[6]: Leaving directory `/home/evaluation/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/netatalk-3.0.5/etc'
make[5]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/evaluation/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/netatalk-3.0.5'
make[4]: *** [all] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/evaluation/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/netatalk-3.0.5'
make[3]: *** [netatalk-3.0.5] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/evaluation/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/evaluation/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708'
make[1]: *** [bin] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/evaluation/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708'
make: *** [rt-ac56u] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/home/evaluation/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708'

Last edited:
Success.

The compiler error above happened because I trying to compile the latest unreleased code. Just needed to get the latest stable code and verify the version.
Code:
git checkout 378.52_2
cat ./release/src-rt-6.x.4708/version.conf

Additional packages I needed to install on Debian 7.8 amd64:
Code:
sudo apt-get install intltool autopoint

Set path to ARM toolchain for compiling firmwares for RT-AC56U & RT-AC68U:
Code:
export PATH=$PATH:~/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/toolchains/hndtools-arm-linux-2.6.36-uclibc-4.5.3/bin

Enable multicore/multiprocessor compiling. Edit the file ~/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/platform.mak:
Code:
#export PARALLEL_BUILD :=
export PARALLEL_BUILD := -j`grep -c '^processor' /proc/cpuinfo`

A Gnome Desktop dependency conflicts with libelf1:i386 on Debian 7.8 amd64. Therefore, at boot time, you must login via the console and manually type 'startx' to get the user-interface to appear.

Anyone knows what the reason for this is?
Code:

My 378.53 compilation always crashes on netatalk afpd with the above error.

Edit: Forgot to add that I am on a supported ubuntu with seemingly all of the required packages. The above is all part of my settings.

I found the solution someplace else in the forum. The problem is related to a borked configure script in router/netatalk-3.0.5.

No idea why my clean git clone did not get the right version but if you ever run into this problem again, simply do
Code:
cd router/netatalk-3.0.5/
rm configure
git checkout configure

and re-run make.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!