What's new

Computer stuck at 54mbps on 802.11n network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sydero

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I just purchased the WNDR3700 router and am managing to get up to 300 mbps on my laptop when it's close and 135 mbps on average. However my desktop in the same room with a DWA-552 wireless network card is stuck at receiving 54 mbps when connected to the same network.

I specifically purchased the D-link DWA-552 card at the same time as the router because it was an N card. How can I unlock it from the 54mbps and allow a higher rate?

BTW the network is running purely on 2.4 ghz since the DWA-552 card apparently can't recognize 5 ghz. The card also replaced an old 802.11g wireless card. The system is running Windows 7 x64.

Thanks

Last edited:
Controversial mix of opinion and facts...
The client PC device must support channel bonding mode where the usual 802.11 channel width increases from 20MHz to 40MHz.
Not all client devices support this. Some have an enable/disable for it. Some WiFi access points/routers also have an enable for 40MHz mode. A quick read of the user manual left me with the impression that since the manual is silent on if 40MHz mode is supported, and due to its low cost, and due to it being IMO a D-Link-usual inferior product, perhaps it does not.

Because 40MHz mode uses 2/3 of the entire band, some products auto-disable use of 40MHz and drop to 20MHz if there are nearby non-11n network SSIDs detected (neighbors). Some have a setup choice of "screw them, force 40MHz mode".

If you really need these high speeds, you need cat5 cable, not WiFi.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wireless/f/80211n-300-mbps.htm

Apparently after reinstalling the drivers it at least recognized the connection as 802.11n. It's also reporting that the speed is 300 mbps, but I'm guessing the d-link driver doesn't know how to report the rate properly.

It also turns out that the antennas aren't that great. When I placed the router beside the computer, the download rates increased by almost 10x. I've decided to buy the D-link antenna (ANT24-0230), since the store that I bought the card from has a terrible refund policy. So now I've turned a $50 card into a $100 price tag :/

Edit: the computer now thinks all the networks are 802.11g again for no reason.

Last edited:
The DWA-552 is a single band 2.4 GHz card, not dual band.

You need to use either no encryption or WPA2-AES to access link rates higher than 54 Mbps.

I do have WPA2-AES enabled.
Look for updated drivers for the card then and check the adapter network properties to see if there is a mode switch that is preventing 802.11n rates.

Try disabling the wireless card's Microsoft Virtual Wifi miniport adapter. Even when the virtual wifi isn't being used or administered, it does reduce the effectiveness of the card when enabled(default), as if it were acting as a virtual hotspot and client simultaneously.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!