What's new

Computers won't connect to my SSID

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aureana

New Around Here
My computer, or any of the devices in my house, won't connect to my main SSID from my router. It will only connect through the guest network. How can i get it to where all the devices work on the main and not just through the guest? i have an asus router RT-n66r

My computer, or any of the devices in my house, won't connect to my main SSID from my router. It will only connect through the guest network. How can i get it to where all the devices work on the main and not just through the guest? i have an asus router RT-n66r

Likely your normal SSID contains special characters.
You are best to use between 2 to 31 characters from only a-z, A-Z,0-9 for max compatibility with various implementations (manufactures and models) of the WiFi standard.

For example, Cisco says about the SSID for their devices

In this text field, the following six characters are not allowed: ?, ", $, [, \, ], and +. In addition, the following three characters cannot be the first character: !, #, and ;.

http://www.cisco.com/web/techdoc/wi...3-04.JA/1100/h_ap_sec_ap-client-security.html

But we know that apostrophe is not good in a SSID for Asus routers. Some devices do not like leading or trailing blanks the SSID.

Last edited:
Hi,
Hi,
Even if you use default SSID and no security at all?
How about resetting to factory default and start over.
No fancy, no funnies first.

Likely your normal SSID contains special characters.
You are best to use between 2 to 31 characters from only a-z, A-Z,0-9 for max compatibility with various implementations (manufactures and models) of the WiFi standard.

For example, Cisco says about the SSID for their devices

In this text field, the following six characters are not allowed: ?, ", $, [, \, ], and +. In addition, the following three characters cannot be the first character: !, #, and ;.

http://www.cisco.com/web/techdoc/wi...3-04.JA/1100/h_ap_sec_ap-client-security.html

But we know that apostrophe is not good in a SSID for Asus routers. Some devices do not like leading or trailing blanks the SSID.

My password has an Exclamation point at the end. Could that be the problem?

Hi,

Hi,
Even if you use default SSID and no security at all?
How about resetting to factory default and start over.
No fancy, no funnies first.

I haven't tried it with no security at all yet, but i have resetted it and all that jazz from the beginning