What's new

Comtrend PG-9172 G.hn Powerline Adapter Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scott Willy

New Around Here
"G.hn occupies a band from 300 MHz to 2.6 GHz,"
The above is false.

On powerline G.hn uses 2-50 MHz or 2-80 MHz bands. The Marvell chip in MIMO mode uses 2-50 MHz band in SISO mode uses 2-80 MHz.

Thanks for the feedback. Can you cite your reference, please?

I used http://homegridforum.org/uploads/resources/5CFw/o6Pa.pdf, the OFDM PARAMETERS AND BANDPLANS section on pages 3 and 4. But I may have misinterpreted the information.

Now that I look at it again, it looks like I may have referenced the G.hn coax frequency band.
comtrend_pg9172_ghn_bandplan.jpg

From another reference I got
comtrend_pg9172_ghn_bandwidth_reference.jpg

I sorted this out with Comtrend and corrected the article. Thanks again for pointing out the error.

So my takeaway from the article is that I can use the two different technologies (G.hn, AV/AV2) to create two independent bridges?

How does it handle two-phase wiring? For instance there is a transformer on my power poll that brings down two 120V feeds. I imagine these are distributed to different circuits in my master circuit breaker panel.

Background for my question is that my broadband router is located in an upstairs bedroom next to where my wide area wifi comes into the house. Eventually the telco offered dsl (I'm like 19,000 ft from the co), so I used the existing telco copper to locate the dsl next to the router. Unfortunately the house copper sucks (lots of noise). I've been using an Actiontech pwr500 to bridge to a backroom where I've got the printer and some other stuff.

If I move the dsl modem to where the telco line comes into the house it locks great. So I'd like to use another power line bridge to get the ethernet out of the dsl modem back to the router.

So my takeaway from the article is that I can use the two different technologies (G.hn, AV/AV2) to create two independent bridges?

You can, but there is not really many reasons to do so. The sharing of the bandwidth is smarter if you use the same technologies. You can have two independent (logical ) bridges (aka LANs) using the same technologies.

How does it handle two-phase wiring? For instance there is a transformer on my power poll that brings down two 120V feeds. I imagine these are distributed to different circuits in my master circuit breaker panel.

The signals from either technology will cross phases in the circuit breaker. The is a small loss of performance, but it generally works. But remember when using and powerline communications product, buy from a store with a good returns policy in case it does not work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online