What's new

Confessions of a Nook Color Rooter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
Have you rooted your Nook Color? Tell us about it.

Re: Confessions of a Nook Color Rooter

Meh... My thoughts exactly.

I am in no way an apple fan boy, but one thing Apple got right was their IPOD/phone/PAD product line. Hurray for releasing products that work smoothly out of the gate.

How many of these Android stinkers, tablet / phones or otherwise, are we going to have to deal with before companies come out with products which are actually feature-4-feature truly competitive with the apple line. And I'm not referring to having an HDMI port, but rather usability features.

I have seen several of these so called "tablets" listed on www.androidtablets.net and honestly, it's like swatting flies to get to the good stuff. If I bought one of these android tablets, my unit would probably be outdated in 5 seconds while the new model came out just as I swiped my credit card.

Speaking of Android phones Tsunamis, why the heck are there so many Motorola, Samsung, and HTC android phones on the market at the same time? It's like I turn around and there another one with a "minor" tweak which has a different model name.

I like competition like the next guy, but this Android model overload creates more market confusion than competition.

2 cents,
F.

At least there is hope that rooting is not the only answer. I have still been pretty happy with mine just reading and surfing the web on it.

Ohh, sorry forgot to add this:

NOOKcolor to Soon Become a Proper $249 Android Tablet

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2010/12/14/nookcolor-to-soon-become-a-proper-249-android-tablet/

Thanks,
F.
Reports are mixed on this. This Engadget article quoted B&N saying apps are coming in 2011, but there are no plans to enable Android Market. Unclear whether full 2.2 will be supported.

It's unlikely that B&N wants to be in the Android Tablet business. But, so far, they are not blocking folks who want to root their NCs.

If it comes with better pdf support, I am happy. It does not save where I stopped reading. A few of my tech manuals are pdf only.

Those are basically a copy of the xda-developers thread instructions.

OK. They looked different at a quick glance. I am still afraid to do it. I don't have the money where I can brick a 250 dollar piece of equipment.

Chances of bricking are very low. But if you have doubts, you shouldn't do it.

I got one last weekend and am now running Honeycomb on it off the internal memory. No major complaints except for Market access being broken. In fact, pleasantly surprised at just how beautifully smooth it's been; it's the first time I've had an "iPad-like" experience on Android. I'm sure it's faster and smoother and more pleasant on a dual-core device like the Xoom, but for $250, the experience is fantastic.

Unfortunately, I'm solidly in the Apple-camp in terms of content, and solidly in the Palm-camp in terms of OS design... though at the speed HP is pushing out new hardware, I'm afraid Honeycomb will catch up to WebOS3.0 by the time the Touchpad comes out.

How are you using it?

Honestly, I haven't been using it at all. I keep going back to the iPad for the larger screen.

I didn't know Honeycomb was available on it. What instructions did you use?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!