What's new

Configuring New Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Signal2Noise

Occasional Visitor
I've decided to go ahead and replace my RT-N66U for an RT-AC3100. Reason being is I've upgraded my ISP plan to a higher speed (150Mbps) and recently got a new gaming laptop that supports AC Wi-Fi. Haven't actually bought the new router yet but it's on sale and last day for the discount is today.
Anyway...quick question. I imagine I can't save the RT-N66U configuration profile and simply load it to the new router. I have a lot of static IP users and dread re-inputting all that info. However if I have to do it manually can I hook up the new router ( via Ethernet?) WITHOUT removing the old and do the setup and then take the N66U offline?

TIA.

Connect a PC over Ethernet to the new router to configure it, but do not connect anything else to it. You will need to skip the QIS wizard, and manually configure things on it (such as WAN and Wifi).

Look at John's nvram backup/restore script, I think it offers a special mode for transferring just those settings that can safely be copied. Do not restore an existing Settings_CFG file, as it contains router-specific information.

Cool beans, Merlin! I will look into that script.