What's new

Confused on what I need

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SevenEleven

New Around Here
I have accomplished most of what I want by doing the following:

Router A (ASUS AC66U) attached to my Modem,

Router B (Netgear R6300) configured as a Wireless Bridge.

I can connect to router A via wifi which is located in the basement. My Den with all my media devices is where Router B is located. But it has wifi disabled.

I have done some searching but am not familiar with the proper term for what I am looking for.

I have 4 devices that are wired to router B and working great. However my wireless signal is not great on other levels of the house. I would like for Router B to also extend the wireless signal.

I am at a bit of a loss what to do...or search for.

Thanks for reading.

Sounds like what you want is Wifi repeater mode. This mode will not be available while the Netgear is configured as a bridge.

You might be able to set it to only use 2.4GHz for the bridge, and connect clients on 5GHz.

Other than that, the only other options are implementing a hard-wired connection between A and B or buying another wireless router to serve as an access point.

Thanks very much. I didnt see an option to make split the frequencies between the bridge and broadcast.

I will research repeater mode, hopefully I can make that happen. Thank you.

repeater mode, also called WDS. It's the least preferred solution for improved coverage. By far.

The best is to put an access point (AP) near the weak signal area. Connect the AP to the router via either cat5 cable (pain, yes, but best), HomePlug as same function as cat5 but uses power wiring in house, or MoCA which uses the TV coax in the house. See the forum sections on that.

Cheaper than a purpose-build AP product, any WiFi router can be repurposed as an AP; see FAQ here on how to do that. It's easy. No 3rd party firmware needed.

I wasnt able to find a FAQ on creating an AP, however there are many tutorials to be found on google.

That being said I didnt quite get it right.

Here is what I have:

Cable Modem>>Asus RT66U as Router (192.168.0.1) >> Netgear R6300 Wireless Bridge (192.168.0.2)>> Netgear WNR 2000 as an AP (192.168.0.3)

On the AP there is a setting in the genie for AP mode. I set that with a static ip with gateway and DNS from 192.168.0.1 I gave it a different SSID from the Router. And plugged it into the WAN port as instructed by the Genie.

It is broadcasting, but I cant get anything attached to it to receive an IP, and I am unable to connect to it on either of my SSID's

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks

first, connect the configured Netgear WNR to your main router and prove that it works as an AP without the bridge in the path.

No doubt, you've disabled the DHCP function in the Netgear WNR. And on that, you are not using its WAN port- just a LAN port. In AP emulation, there's no routing happening, so there's no WAN, and no use of the WAN port.

This assumes the Netgear WNR does not have an AP mode; you're doing the re-purposing scheme.

Last edited:
After attaching the WNR 2000 directly to the Asus Router it worked fine. I was able to connect wirelessly to it no problem and it was connected to the internet.

As soon as I move it to the Bridge, it goes back to its old tricks. So I guess the problem lies with the bridge configuration?

Try connecting the WNR to LAN ports on both ends. Perhaps manually configure it as an AP rather than using the genie.

Reset it to factory defaults and try again.

After attaching the WNR 2000 directly to the Asus Router it worked fine. I was able to connect wirelessly to it no problem and it was connected to the internet.

As soon as I move it to the Bridge, it goes back to its old tricks. So I guess the problem lies with the bridge configuration?
Can you try: Take a laptop or PC, connect its ethernet port to the bridge. Set for DHCP. Power up PC, make sure DHCP request gets a response via the bridge and thus you can surf the 'net.

If this works...
Set the PC's ethernet to a static IP address in the LAN range (subnet) of the main router, but a non-conflicting choice. Connect via cat5 PC to bridge and confirm.
Then power off PC, disconnect ethernet. Power up, enable WiFi. Check that it did associate with the Access Point (not the router- maybe you have those to on different SSIDs). Now the PC should, since it's associated, and has the correct encryption MODE AND KEY, get an IP address from the router. If the encryption settings are wrong (don't match chose in the AP), then you'll associate but DHCP will fail.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!