What's new

Connect 2 or more PCs using a non-manage switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cyliyu

New Around Here
How can I connect 2 or more PCs/Laptop using a non-manage switch without connecting to the network?
Is there a setting in Windows 10 required? Thanks.

Not really sure I understand what you are asking but you can wire all the PCs to the switch and as long as they are configured to be in the same subnet and windows workgroup you should be able access them. Completely unrelated to whether or not you have an internet connection (if that is what you mean by "network").

Not really sure I understand what you are asking but you can wire all the PCs to the switch and as long as they are configured to be in the same subnet and windows workgroup you should be able access them. Completely unrelated to whether or not you have an internet connection (if that is what you mean by "network").

Thanks for your quick reply.
Yes, I just want to have 3 to 5 PCs/Laptop connected together thru a switch (not connected to any network or internet) so that I can transfer files.
Do I need to use cross cable or straight cables from PCs/Laptop to the switch?

Do I need to use cross cable or straight cables from PCs/Laptop to the switch?
Because you are plugging into a switch you just need a normal patch cable. Crossover cables were only ever used years ago when using one cable directly between two PCs.

You need either an router that has DHCP running to assign IPs, or manually assign IPs to each computer

You need either an router that has DHCP running to assign IPs, or manually assign IPs to each computer
The client will probably assign itself an IPv4 link local address in the 169.254.0.0/16 range. If he uses IPv6 then it is mandatory that the clients have a link local address within fe80::/10.

Been a few years since I had a network set up without using a router acting as DHCP, but always set the PCs up with a manually assigned IP in the 192.168.0.0/24 range - e.g. 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2 etc. Go to the IPv4-settings for the adapters in Windows, and you can set the IP manually. Also need to set subnet (255.255.255.0)

Until the OP provides more details of what they are actually trying to do here, the DHCP requirement is unknown. Windows 10 will work just fine for basic SMB file copies with no DHCP being available. They will announce themselves via broadcast. IPv4 will auto-assign out of the 169.x.x.x range and IPv6 will use the fe80::/10 range.

Until the OP provides more details of what they are actually trying to do here, the DHCP requirement is unknown. Windows 10 will work just fine for basic SMB file copies with no DHCP being available. They will announce themselves via broadcast. IPv4 will auto-assign out of the 169.x.x.x range and IPv6 will use the fe80::/10 range.
And you need to turn on remote access in the settings menu.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!