What's new

Connect ChromeBook to Asus Router via OpenVPN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wingsfan87

Regular Contributor
Any good help with converting the .ovpn file that is generated from the OpenVPN server on my Asus router to be able to be used on my ChromeBook?

I found this https://syedali.net/2014/02/17/using-chromebook-to-connect-to-an-openvpn-server/ however not much help in generating the pks12 file either from the Asus router.

I can SSH into my Asus router but I'm not sure what to run command line wise to export it as I would need it.

If Asus support monitor's this is it something you can work on supporting? Better ability to export connection files/certs instead of just .ovpn so I can import the ca.cert and the client cert with private keys into my ChromeBook?

Devices:
Router - RT-AC5300 | 3.0.0.4.380_3941
ChromeBook - Acer C720P | running the latest stable build

I am interested in this too...

I have not been able to connect my chrome book to my 3100 yet via open vpn...

Any insight would be great.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chromebooks -- like Apple - you're on your own with OpenVPN.

There is a solution - one is client based, one is server based - but at the end of the day - it's OpenVPN - and OpenSource is what is..

There are other alternatives - not client based - check the forums here...

I was finally able to connect to my OpenVPN but the speeds make it useless. I will try to mess around with the settings a little bit to see if changing them helps.

I'm going down this path now too. How did you end up connecting?

EDIT: nvm, I think I've gotten it working. You need to extract the three segments, combine two into a .pk12 file, import the third, and import & bind the .pk12 file. Last step is to build your own .onc file and import that into chrome://net-settings. I didn't find any exact samples of the .onc file; you have to dig into the onc documentation.

Last edited: