What's new

Connect to N66U openvpn server while N66U is connected to outside vpn?

• Thread starter Deleted member 27741
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 27741

I want to be able to connect my N66U to an outside vpn for my use at home, while at the same time an outside user connects to the openvpn server(s) on my N66U itself.

Edit-
Well, that was easy- this firmware's flexibility never ceases to amaze. I set up policy based routing on the client and set the computers I wanted to route through the tunnel. What an easy solution. The computers that are not set to route through the client tunnel are able to connect to and use the N66U openvpn server normally. Brilliant, just brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator:
A user of this fork is probably in better position to answer the question as I'm not sure about the details regarding "selective routing/policy based routing" on this fork.

Nevertheless it's certainly possible. If you can't do it simply through the GUI, in the worse case, you'll need custom scripts on a few iptables rules.

Reading through your description, seems you have by default all your LAN hosts going out through the external VPN provider? If so, you can start looking at how to add an exception to this rule.

The external client connected to your router as VPN server will have IP range 10.8.0.0/16 by default. So an exception on this subnet will give this client Internet access through your ISP rather than the external VPN provider.

Thanks for the info! I have a solution that I hope will work for now just had to think a bit and freakin' use google. I can't find anything with the search function on the forums, sometimes I forget that.

Instead of going with the option of routing everything through the client but the vpn server ip addresses, I just routed the one computer I need to go through the vpn client via policy-based routing which john's fork does have. It is my assumption that nothing else will travel through the vpn client with that setup. Too easy, I almost hope to find problems. :)

That's even better IMO - only route local hosts need external VPN access. The rest will be through your ISP. Then you don't require any special handling for the external client connected to your router as VPN server.

Sometimes by asking a question you better formulate your problem, and then you got it solved by yourself :)

Hmmm... Looks like it isn't working. Odd. Maybe I don't understand the policy based routing, the vpn client works when it is set to all traffic.

I set policy rules as follows- I set the source as the computer I want routed through the tunnel, the ip address as the ip address of the vpn service, and the interface as vpn. I must be doing it wrong. :confused:

Yep, doing it wrong. Destination ip needs to be 0.0.0.0. Derp!

Last edited by a moderator: