What's new

connect two asus RT-N66r routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnT

Occasional Visitor
I have two routers (ASUS RT-N66U). I have a technicolor modem from Time Warner Cable which I want to connect to the two Asus routers, one being set up as the primary router (wireless mode) and the other router as in AP mode. My house has either net cable from one side of the house (where the modem and primary router are located, to the middle of the house where I want to place my AP router. The AP router is connected to the other side of the house via an eithernet cable which i use to connect to a computer. Can someone please give me instructions on how to set up the two routers.

I assume that I first set-up, using quick set-up, the primary router to the Technicolor modem in the default mode (wireless) and make sure that I have internet both via Eithernet and Wireless. I would then disconnect the primary router from the modem and set-up the other router (connecting it to the modem - similar to the process of the primary router). HOWEVER, in this case, I would set up the router in AP mode. Do I keep the IP address of the AP router the same as that of the primary router. I have heard it is best to use a differenct IP address, for example, set up the primary as 192.168.1.1 and the AP as 192.168.1.2. Also, how would I connect the eithernet cable between the routers - from a LAN port on the primary to a LAN port on the AP or to the WAN port on the AP?

Any specific details would be apprciated.

Set up the first router as you described..

Set up the AP directly connected to your network device (port on your laptop / desktop, to LAN port future AP - let it boot up) and configure (default ip should be 192.168.1.1). Your addressing of the AP would be correct.

You can configure the AP with 192.168.1.2 and then reserve that IP address on the router, (DHCP Server) so that it is not used by another device. (two devices on a network with the same IP Address is a bad thing! SO, it's not only the best way, it's the only way! One unique IP Address per device).

First router, connect WAN port to ISP modem port. (make sure the ISP modem is in bridge mode. You or your ISP will need to make that config change on the ISP modem. Unless it's a real modem (meaning not a wifi router modem combo), then there's no config change there. Check from your network to see if you can ping 192.168.1.1. Then connect to 192.168.1.1 via web browser. If you can, you're half way there..

Once your AP is configured, locate it to where you want to plug it in. Connect your Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the first ASUS(DHCP Server) to the WAN port on the AP and power up. If you configured it correctly, you should be able to ping the AP and connect to it.

Then do your wifi tweaking.. You can try using the same SSID on both routers, but select different wifi band channels for each ASUS device (router and AP).

Connection should look like this:

modem (bridge mode)<---->( to WAN PORT)RT-N66U(DHCP)192.168.1.1 (LAN PORT<---->(WAN PORT)RT-N66U(AP)192.168.1.2

You can also use the LAN ports on the AP to connect devices to, if required, for other devices.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. I will try your suggestions and if it does not work, i will be back. Thanks again!