What's new

Connecting a Router to a wireless network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steven2500

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have the following problem and do not know what the correct setup - Connection type I need to set up,

I have a Holiday home on a site, it comes with a free Wireless Network Password, that supposedly allows 1 device to connect to it, (It will lock the password with the MAC address, So I don't want to try it out) I want to connect multiple devices to the free network.

I figured I could use an old router as a go between, I have a DG834G lying around.

I want to connect this to the site network then connect loads of devices to the router.

I do not have access to the Holiday sites wireless network. Other then connecting to it the normal wireless way.

Can this be done?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

Can this be done?

Thanks in advance!

In your situation the simplest approach is to find a router that can be put in a wireless bridge mode or media bridge mode. I'm not sure the hardware you have supports this functionality.

A router with DD-WRT firmware has many options and if you follow the Wiki's you can get it working.

When you get it setup you can plug four devices into the LAN ports and it can be set up so the WAN port can be converted to a fifth LAN port.

If you want WiFi you will need to plug an AP into one of the LAN ports on the bridge.

You also might be able to repurpose a router and set it up as a repeater but cutting the speed in half on this connection, which probably will be a slow connection since it is being shared by numerous people, won't make you happy.

No, not a router. You need a WiFi client bridge (aka game adapter). It becomes a WiFi client (as is a laptop PC.) Most have one ethernet port - to which you can attach an ethernet switch. Connect by cat5 ethernet cable to the switch, PCs.
Or get a WiFi access point and connect it to the switch or bridge - now your laptop can connect by WiFi to the access point, or by wire, then in turn to the bridge and in turn to the free WiFi.

A very few WiFi routers also have a client bridge mode by design.
Don't confuse this client bridge mode with Access point mode - they are essentially opposite roles

Cradlepoint has a couple of solutions that are perfect for a situation like this - basically it's WISP to Router/AP, and WiFi on the back-end...

sfx

yes, Cradlepoint calls this "WiFi as WAN". I've used it - works well, has simple admin.
I suppose others do so as well.

DG834G is 802.11g so if you could use it your WAN would be limited to 54Mbps max - I would think that the free WLAN is either 11n or maybe 11ac. DD-WRT or Tomato firmware may work if your DG834G is v4 - v1, v2, v3 will not: http://secure.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Known_incompatible_devices

Probably best to invest in something new as stated above.......

Thanks for all the advice!

So from what I'm reading I can use the router in bridge mode, but would have issues with speed and connections,

So either I connect it and then cat 5 another wifi point to it.
Or I buy a new device.

What would you guys recommend?

Also would theses solutions hide my multiple MAC address?

Also I should state I don't want to physically connect to the bridge all the items I want to link to are wifi (iPads/phones)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!