What's new

Connecting across APs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Superphb

New Around Here
Hi everyone,
I wonder if anyone can help?

My scenario:

Hardware used: Draytek Vigor 2860 VDSL router, TP-Link EAP115 Access points. DL-Link 24 port managed switch.

Consider two wireless access points on a 192.168.8.0 range (as an example). AP1 192.168.8.10 and AP2 192.168.8.11. If I connect successfully, as a wireless client, to AP1 I'm given an appropriate IP address from the DHCP scope from the Vigor 2860. e.g. 192.168.8.50. Both APs are connected to the same port on the 2860. My device (laptop in this scenario) can now access the internet etc and (if I have the correct username/password) http to the AP the device is connected to and administer the AP if needed.

However, what I would also like to do is while connected to AP1 is http to AP2 (which is on the same network) and administer that device. But I cannot. I cannot http or even PING it.

They use the same gateway IP (192.168.8.1) AND, crucially, neither AP has "isolate AP" ticked, before anyone mentions that :)

So, why can I not connect across this network to the other AP (on the same network)? Any help appreciated.

Many thanks

Do you have separate SSIDs ? If not, do you know for sure which one you are attached to ?
Have you tried using wired access ?
On my CISCO APs, i could log into the other one wirelessly to configure the one of interest, but not the same one that i was trying to configure.

Do you have separate SSIDs ? If not, do you know for sure which one you are attached to ?
Have you tried using wired access ?
On my CISCO APs, i could log into the other one wirelessly to configure the one of interest, but not the same one that i was trying to configure.

Hi Degrub,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have multiple SSIDs. Quite a few. But only two using EAPs. And yes, when I'm trying to connect to AP1 I'm connected to the SSID of AP2. These two APs are about 60 metres apart so don't overlap.

My scenario is further complicated as I use VLAN tagging to allow the APs the ability to have two SSIDs. Perhaps it's the tagging that's screwing it up (?) although all the hardware the traffic is flowing through is VLAN tagging aware so it should be getting through...

Is the AP console accessible from the vlan being used ?

BTW, how are you able to physically connect two AP devices into the same port on the router ?

Is the AP console accessible from the vlan being used ?

BTW, how are you able to physically connect two AP devices into the same port on the router ?

Hi, yes, AP console is accessible from the VLAN.

Re: connecting to APs to the same port - Well, this is where it gets a bit more complicated. A port on the Vigor router is VLAN tagged to allow two VLANs (we'll call them 911 and 912). This port is then connected (Cat5e wired) to the D-Link switch and a set of ports on the switch (4 in this example) are tagged to all carry VLAN 911 and 912. The AP is then connected to one of these ports and there are two SSID's on the AP, one configured for VLAN 911 and the other for 912.

Last edited: