What's new

Connecting PC to TV

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The bfg card is faster but you can use both cards at the same time with the BFG card as the primary GPU which lets you have even more attached displays or encoding/decoding GPU accelerated resource. The issue with old cards is that they may have trouble moving 4K pixels at 60fps but to confirm this there was a calculation i once posted a few years ago at some other website to determine the minimum GPU resource required to support very high resolution displays from memory bandwidths to ROPs and frequency but i cant seem to find it.

To calculate your GPU's fillrate (you can just check this via GPUz though) is to take the number of ROPs, multiply by clock speed(i.e. 48*600,000,000 for a GPU with 48 ROPs running a core (not shader) clock of 600Mhz = 28 Gigapixels a second).

To find the required fill rate you take your resolution (w*h)*refresh rate. For example for a screen of 1080P at 120hz would require 248.832 Million pixels per second.

To calculate the memory bandwidth required you take the fill rate required * 2 (read + write) * 48 (each pixel is 48 bits)/8 (to convert to bytes needed)

So for your TV the GPU needs to have 500Mpixels/s, 6GB/s of video memory and 50MB of vram at least just to display the pixels. This spec doesnt include other calculations such as 3D or 2D stuff for the desktop or memory required for a 4K video decoding in the GPU and other items like icons and images for the desktop and the desktop system itself (such as windows aero).

DVI is better because it has more bandwidth than HDMI.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!