What's new

Connecting QNAP TS-453mini.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Synomenon

Regular Contributor
So I finally have some time to play with this new-to-me TS-453mini. It does have the dual ethernet ports. Can I connect both ports to any router and assign each port a unique IP address?

If it's connected this way, can one port be used exclusively for transmitting and the other for receiving?

You can connect both, but using one to transmit and the other to receive is impossible for networking as we know it to work. ;)

Not in the slightest.

I can assign each port on the QNAP a static IP using address reservation in my R7800. Is there some option in the QNAP so it knows to use one of its ports for transmitting and the other for receiving?

Is there some option in the QNAP so it knows to use one of its ports for transmitting and the other for receiving?

You are not understanding that you cannot do that at all.

I skimmed through the 400+ pages and saw a section on port trunking options. The manual (page 119) says you can combine two Ethernet interfaces into one to increase bandwidth.

The manual says to connect both the NAS's Ethernet ports to the same switch and to make sure the switch supports port trunking.

My router doesn't support trunking so I'd have to buy a switch that does or replace the router.

Last edited:
Synomenon: SNBForums is open to anyone. Please don't let the behavior of one person drive you away.

I skimmed through the 400+ pages and saw a section on port trunking options. The manual (page 119) says you can combine two Ethernet interfaces into one to increase bandwidth.

The manual says to connect both the NAS's Ethernet ports to the same switch and to make sure the switch supports port trunking.

My router doesn't support trunking so I'd have to buy a switch that does or replace the router.

Doing so still won't increase the throughput to any one client. It will increase the total throughput to two or more clients connected simultaneously to the NAS (up to it's performance limits). But each client will never see more than a 1GbE connection rate even if it is the only one using the NAS.

So I finally have some time to play with this new-to-me TS-453mini. It does have the dual ethernet ports. Can I connect both ports to any router and assign each port a unique IP address?

If it's connected this way, can one port be used exclusively for transmitting and the other for receiving?

For basic use, please try to keep it simple - use just one of the ports for now...

QNAP does have the option to "gang" up the ports and with an appropriate switch, you can pair them up - for most folks though, it doesn't make that much of a difference in performance.

The TS-453Mini - make sure you're up to date on the QTS - QNAP did a release not too long ago that not only fixed quite a few security and bugs, but also brought in some good updates for Virtualization (including LXC and Docker support)...

I'd recommend this link, it explains link aggregation well (better than I have ever seen elsewhere)
https://delightlylinux.wordpress.co...gregation-in-linux-mint-17-and-xubuntu-14-04/

You can of course increase bandwidth with link aggregation, but not for one single connection. Link Agg helps when more than one client and sending or receiving files from the NAS.

I have my NAS connected with Link Agg and it does improve performance sometimes, but I am using a managed switch to achieve this.
Merlin does apparently support dynamic link aggregation but I never got it working.....but it is possible

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!