What's new

Connecting small LAN to cell network as backup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snbyak

New Around Here
We have a very small, basic network at work -- 3 computers, a superfluous switch & a router -- diagram attached.

Our cable provider had a 2-hour outage mid-day last week which caused the boss to ask how we can get backup network access. I suggested using one of the office cell phones as a hot spot.

Q: How can I get the router to connect via WIFI on the WAN side to the cellphone mobile hotspot? The diagram shows what I'd like to do. Effectively, I'd like to switch the WAN from wired to wireless. "Solutions" to date generally involved adding a second router to the diagram but I have had no luck in sorting out how exactly it fits into the diagram and what capabilities the router would need.

In the diagram, I have added the cell phone with wireless connectivity to the/a router.

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Attachments

• CCI_000002.jpg
    CCI_000002.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 536
Your best bet would be a USB (cellular based) modem from your ISP. And not a cell phone, per se.

What is your router? Make sure the USB modem you pick up is compatible with it.

Thanks, but I'm looking to use the equipment as I described it, i.e. a cell phone w hotspot.

I don't see that working as a reliable 'backup' method, but I hope others can help you on your quest. ;)

Imagine taking a network, as is, with a wired connection (i.e. ethernet cable from WAN port to a cable modem) and then just swapping that wired WAN connection with a wireless connection to WIFI. It doesn't have to be a cell phone. What's important is how to configure a wireless WAN connection from an existing network to a WIFI hotspot of whatever description of capacity you want to consider.

snbyak, I understand what you want to do. I don't understand why you'd want to though. :)

Try searching for WISP enabled routers (not recommended for business class use).

Either way, it isn't something that can be done with your existing equipment. Not easily, if at all.