What's new

Connecting to VPN server using IKEv2 (iOS Always-on VPN)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davejuk

Occasional Visitor
I have an EA6900 running 380.58

I see that it is possible to configure it to run an OpenVPN server but I can't see how I can configure it to use IKEv2.

I need to use IKEv2 as I require an always-on VPN connection through my iPhone and it is the only supported protocol.

If it is possible, can anyone point me to an example configuration?

Thanks

You need to install the official OpenVPN client for IOS from the AppStore, and import the client config...

Don't need IKEv2...

That won't give me an always-on VPN connection though will it?

It would be possible for the user to disconnect the VPN and for traffic to go straight out on to the internet.

That won't give me an always-on VPN connection though will it?

It would be possible for the user to disconnect the VPN and for traffic to go straight out on to the internet.

That's right - Apple was sued on this item, and was forced to disable "on-demand" VPN, which says much about patent-trolls and the legal system...

It's not possible - Linksys embedded OpenVPN server needs the OpenVPN client on the iDevice - and not really anyway around it.

If you're running AsusWRT on a Linksys router - that's ill-advised...

Yes, I'm running Asuswrt-Merlin on a Linksys EA6900.

I thought it might not be possible.

Can you recommend another router/firmware that would allow me to connect via IKEv2?

IKEv2 is LT2P/IPSec, so has nothing to do with OpenVPN - if I recall, there might be an option in AsusWRT for L2TP, but there, I can't help you...

IKEv2 is LT2P/IPSec, so has nothing to do with OpenVPN - if I recall, there might be an option in AsusWRT for L2TP, but there, I can't help you...

Only as a client, not as a server.

Does this mean IKEv2 will work as a L2TP client in stock Merlin? I though Strongswan had to be installed through entware, which is daunting.

It would be an very useful feature to integrate, IKEv2 is often 2x faster than OpenVPN on same hardware.

Does this mean IKEv2 will work as a L2TP client in stock Merlin?

No. They are not compatible.

L2TP/IPsec is using a L2TP tunnel on top of IPsec where the initial key exchange is using IKE(v1).

IKEv2 is a short name for transporting or tunneling directly over IPsec (AH or ESP) w/o L2TP tunneling. The initial key exchange is done by IKEv2.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!