What's new

connecting to wifi redirects me to 192.168.1.1 after router reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

akkbar

New Around Here
so my network was running a bit slow, so I simply power cycled my router. after that I got immediately redirected to 192.168.1.1 and the router admin login when I reconnected to the router via wifi. I was running the latest (or close to the latest) merlin firmware for the rt-ac87. I ended up having to reflash to the latest asus official firmware to get it to stop doing this. It even did it after resetting the router to default settings prior to reflashing to asus official firmware.

Any ideas what could have caused this? I have no router logs to share unfortunately because of having to reflash. I did save the settings of the router to my computer before resetting to default settings while still running merlin's firmware, prior to reflashing to asus official. would sharing that give any useful information?

My router seems to be working fine now with asus official, but I would love to get some help in trying to understand what was happening. Any thoughts ladies and gentlemen?

*additional info* I never tried an ethernet connection, simply because my desktop isnt close to router. so I have no idea how it was behaving with an ethernet connection, just wifi. Also, it did this from multiple devices (iphone and desktop), so I dont believe it was related to any issues on the client's OS.

Another odd thing, after reflashing to latest asus official version from their website, it says on the router administration page (192.168.1.1) that there is a new version available, but when I click "check", its says "The router cannot connect to ASUS server to check for the firmware update. After reconnecting to the Internet, go back to this page and click Check to check for the latest firmware updates." even though I am obviously able to get to the internet (or I wouldnt be posting here). Is that a known bug in asus official, or more strange behavior possibly related to the initial problem? thanks!

Last edited:
There should be a setting to redirect all pages whenever the WAN goes down.

Disable that.

the WAN wasn't down tho. I could ping fine from the router the whole time. The router was connected to the WAN for sure. Does that setting go haywire?

In fact I got other sorts of strange behavior with merlin's firmware. The LED button stopped working and the lights didn't even all come on. They do now with Asus official. This happened from day 1 with merlin's

I dont believe that is it about the LEDs. I know they can be disabled. But even if I had them off, they would randomly come on and just some of them would come on.. Not all that should have. And if I had them enabled, the same inconsistent behavior, seemingly random.

Back to my original post tho, any ideas on that? Also, a factory reset had no effect. Hence I had to reflash.

Also, I have gone thru multiple versions of Merlin since I got the rt-ac87 around the time the product was released.

flashing is not the same as factory reset. When you flash, most of your stored settings are kept. When you factory reset, those are switched to defaults. It can also help alleviate the anomalies like you describe.

I believe this is a timing problem which Merlin has fixed for his next release. If you do a search on 'alpha3' you could test an early version for the 87U and confirm it's fixed.

@baos, I factory reset before with Merlin before I flashed to official. No change, seemed to not reset. 99.9% sure I didn't like click the wrong button. Hopefully Merlin will chime in, I really am curious what happened here.

@baos, I factory reset before with Merlin before I flashed to official. No change, seemed to not reset. 99.9% sure I didn't like click the wrong button. Hopefully Merlin will chime in, I really am curious what happened here.

You need to Factory Reset/Default after flashing.

Just came back to check up on my thread. Anyone have any additional information or ideas on what caused my issue mentioned in my OP? Thanks again!