What's new

Connection Was Unsuccessful - Windows 7 using Netgear WG111v3 Wireless-G USB Adapter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bigdummy

New Around Here
Hi, not sure if this is the right forum. As my name suggests, I'm a big dummy and I'm having issues connecting to my wifi. I'm hoping someone can help me out. So I'll get right to it.

Computer: Gateway DX4831 64-bit desktop using Windows 7 Home Premium.
Wireless adapter: Netgear WG111v3 Wireless-G USB Adapter
Wireless router: Netgear DGN2200

Problem: When I attempt to connect to my wireless network, I get a message stating "The connection was unsuccessful. This computer currently has limited connectivity to snowboarder [my SSID]."

According to Device Manager, the wireless adapter is working properly. I attempted to download the driver from Netgear's website, but did not want to install properly on my computer. I found a driver that is supposed to be compatible with Windows 7 and installed it. However, this did not solve the issue.

The wireless network is working on all of my other devices, and I can see that is has a fairly strong signal. I've updated my router. Restarted my computer. Disabled and enabled the Local Area Connection and Local Area Connection 2 (per the suggestions I read in another forum).
I've gone into the Wireless Network Connection Properties and unchecked the "Symantec Network Security Intermediate Filter Driver".
I've renewed my IP address. I've literally spent hours on this to no avail. I would be so grateful for any help! Thank you :)

Try 'forgetting' the ssid on your computer, reboot, and then re-associate to your router again.

I tried this and it did not work.
Is your router setup to allow connection by G devices? Enable legacy protection or whatever Netgear calls it.

Your G device can see an N network but won't be able to connect unless G devices are specifically allowed.

Is your router setup to allow connection by G devices? Enable legacy protection or whatever Netgear calls it.

Your G device can see an N network but won't be able to connect unless G devices are specifically allowed.
I couldn't find anywhere in my router settings to enable legacy protection/G devices. The FAQ on Netgear's site said my router is backwards compatible. I'm getting the feeling that Netgear just has sub-par products. A new wireless adapter may be the answer. It's just strange that it has worked for several years and then all of a sudden it doesn't.
Edit: spelling

Wait, I may have found what you were talking about. Would I need to select the Mode for "up to 54 mbps"? Wouldn't that make my connection much slower? Right now I'm set up for up to 145 Mbps.
upload_2016-10-18_15-16-7.png

Computer: Gateway DX4831 64-bit desktop using Windows 7 Home Premium.
Wireless adapter: Netgear WG111v3 Wireless-G USB Adapter

FWIW - I've had a couple of these adapters - and none have been really working well with 64 bit windows... really old stuff, and old drivers...

consider perhaps replacing this adapter with something more current...