What's new

Constant high incoming WAN traffic, should I be concerned?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kaiser

New Around Here
Hi,

I have a set-up with Asus RT-NT66U router. Lately, its performance has been choppy every now and then. While trying to figure out what's going on, I realized that there is constant high incoming WAN traffic, app 2500-4000KB/s going on (according to Asus' own Traffic Monitor), see pic.

It's only incoming and it doesn't go through to any of my devices. If I turn off wireless and physically disconnect all wired devices, the incoming WAN traffic is still the same... The router has latest firmware and I have rebooted it, but no difference...

Should I be concerned about this? Is it a hacking attack and if so, can I do anything about it? Or is it something else? And, if so can it explain choppy performance?

Thanks!
MP

Make sure your firmware is up-to-date, so your router hasn't been compromised.

Also if you have Download Master installed, double check its configuration. It might be sharing any plugged USB disk to the rest of the world.

Thank you for your answers!
Unfortunatelly, no difference yet...
www.grc.com reports all greens and a lot of "true stealth"... :)
Don't have Download Master, latest firmware is installed...

Does your ISP traffic report matches the numbers reported by the router?

You could also try disabling hardware NAT acceleration under LAN -> Switch to ensure it's not an erroneous report by the Traffic Monitor (which isn't compatible with NAT acceleration).

awesome, that was interesting. i had good results with no responses.

Does your ISP traffic report matches the numbers reported by the router?

You could also try disabling hardware NAT acceleration under LAN -> Switch to ensure it's not an erroneous report by the Traffic Monitor (which isn't compatible with NAT acceleration).

I don't really know how to see the ISP traffic report...

NAT acceleration is disabled...

I don't really know how to see the ISP traffic report...

Depends on your ISP. Some will provide a web portal allowing you to monitor your monthly usage (especially if they come with monthly traffic caps).