What's new

Constructing network in a business centre

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

svt11

Occasional Visitor
Hi
I have a task to design and make network for one business centre of 10 floors. Every floor consists of 6 offices. The the central location is OK. Patch panel marking every floor and switch - main switch. Then in every floor I will run one cable to the main switch from every floor and one cable to the floor switch from every office. With telephony I'm not quite sure how can I make it. I want to put VoIP, but it will be expensive, so I prefer standard telephony. I know for now that some companies will require couple of offices. Theyre going to have their own network not connected to the internet. So I will have to invest on bigger switch on their floor and it is required to have at least 4Gb/s throughput on their own network. I'm considering using LACP switch like http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/networking-switches/product-detail.html?oid=5354561 . Ofcourse every company will have their own VLAN for the internet and they all are planning to use only 2 ISP.

Hi
Theyre going to have their own network not connected to the internet. So I will have to invest on bigger switch on their floor and it is required to have at least 4Gb/s throughput on their own network..
This does not make sense to me. Companies which run their own networks will have their own internet pipe. Usually in big buildings there are Dmarks where ISP bring their services in. From there the individual companies will run their internet pipes back to their wiring closets for their networks.

Trying to run wire 10 stories is not going to be easy. Fiber is better suited to this task. All you need is probably multimode 50nm with a ST connector. Standardize on fiber and connectors so you can move equipment around.

Trying to run 4Gb/s on multiple wires is not practical. Use 10 GIG.

I don't know why VOIP is going to be more expensive than the networking side. Add enough info structure for phones. It will be cheaper now than later.

How many wire drops are going to be put in all the offices?

One wire per floor will not cut it for a big building. You will need redundancy as wires go back. You can't have a whole floor down while you are waiting for a new wire to be pulled.

Are you going to add wireless all over the building but avoid the businesses with their own networks?

I assume these patch panels are in wiring closets and have plenty of power and cooling. Switches for big networks have noisy fans.

This all I can think of right now. You need building drawings with distances to plan all this out.

Last edited:
I would strongly suggest asking for help here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/networking
and
https://community.spiceworks.com/networking/general

This is WAYYYYY out of scope of a "small network"
TBH, this is usually the kind of work I get paid to do.

Edit:
media

This is for a 6 story office building that will be set up as a co-working space.
There is also a another 2920, 31 WAPs along with a pair of Cisco routers already on site.
A pair of 6600 10gb switches that the client already owns will be linking the switches between the floors. 2 Pairs of fiber per switch, 1 pair per 6600.

Edit2:
The original plan called for 2x 3810 switches linking the floors but they requested we save some money and re-use hardware from an older site.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!