What's new

Convert 4-node aimesh from router mode to AP mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SteveEG

New Around Here
I am about to introduce a Fortigate firewall to connect to the wan and take over from an RT-AC86U currently in Route mode. The RT-AC86U is the primary device but has 3 additional aimesh nodes configured to it. Can I just change the mode from Router mode to AP mode on the primary? Will it maintain the configuration of the aimesh and still know about its nodes?
Any advice on best approach for smallest amount of downtime?

Thanks,
Steve

I am about to introduce a Fortigate firewall to connect to the wan and take over from an RT-AC86U currently in Route mode. The RT-AC86U is the primary device but has 3 additional aimesh nodes configured to it. Can I just change the mode from Router mode to AP mode on the primary? Will it maintain the configuration of the aimesh and still know about its nodes?
Any advice on best approach for smallest amount of downtime?

Thanks,
Steve

Conventional wisdom would probably be to start over... get the AC86U root node in AP Mode working from scratch and then add the remaining nodes.

Another option (if you need it) might be to set the working AC86U aside and build the new network without it, minus one node. If that goes well, reset all nodes including the AC86U and add the AiMesh in AP Mode, starting with the AC86U.

Also save the current AC86U configuration to file in case you need to return to it.

OE

Finally found time when the family wasn't using the internet and I had time and made the swap. Wanted to provide a quick update here in case anyone else ever has the question.

Based on OE's recommendation, I was fully prepared to wipe everything clean and start over, but for giggles decided to try it first. Logged in and changed the Operation Mode to Access Point (AP) mode and set a static ip for the lan. It rebooted the device and when it came back up, was a little flakey. Manually power-cycled it, and now when I log into the new ip, it still sees the 3 mesh nodes and everything is working as hoped.

So to summarize, changing from Route mode to AP mode doesn't lose the AIMesh config.

Thanks,
Steve

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!