What's new

Cooling my 87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ShawnTRD

Regular Contributor
Just got my new fans. Got some before and after temps.

Attachments

• CollageMaker_20181020_162533495.jpg
    CollageMaker_20181020_162533495.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 572
  • 20181020_161651.jpg
    20181020_161651.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 536
  • Screenshot_20181020-163117_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20181020-163117_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 540
What for?
Only to spend even more power (that for fans) to heat your home?

Everything below 70°C is pretty fine and below 55° for Wifi-chips too.
They all will catch a cold with your temps ;)

There is a huge difference with routers over 80°C going up to >85 in summer, but you are worlds away.

Or will you cool your car engine from 100 downto below 50??? It will be an extremly bad idea.

I see lots of lag problems when there's no cooling fan under my 87U. For the past year I've had a laptop cooler but the fan bearing in that went last week.

70 degrees fahrenheit
That about be about 21 Celsius
What about adding ventilation holes to the case? Don't know how tough it is to open...doesn't appear to have very much airflow stock.

What about adding ventilation holes to the case? Don't know how tough it is to open...doesn't appear to have very much airflow stock.
sure you can do that, but it will be visible in case you want to sell it someday and a lot more dust will get inside.

sure you can do that, but it will be visible in case you want to sell it someday and a lot more dust will get inside.
Seems like this model is almost sealed compared to others.

Seems like this model is almost sealed compared to others.
My solution should work anyway as it brings the heat from the print to the case where it can cool down faster.
Front of 68U where I placed my fan is solid too without any holes, though it works as considered.

Many threads going back (as long as the 3200 has been in service on the forum. Many use a quiet laptop cooler or a small (quiet) $10 AC fan that has 1-3 speed settings sitting off to one side, pointed toward the bottom/sides of the router, it's enough to move the warm air away. Don't know of anyone who has ever fallen for the ancient Amazon listing of the twin case fan rig powered from one of the USB port; that's just too much power drain.Vacuum and clean the router every so often, and the fan, and the router will be fine. We run two concurrent OpenVPN tunnels with different providers, streaming video, the temp never goes above what's in the attached photo. Cheers.

Attachments

• temps 3200.jpg
    temps 3200.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 360

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!