What's new

Correct Install order for Official and Merlin software updates

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MarkNewToAsus

New Around Here
Hello Snb community !

I am new to Routers, Assus and Merlin, If i may I have a question for the community.

I understand how to locate and Install software both official and Merlin But in what order.......
I will be receiving my new RT-AC86U this morning here is what i am going to do, please correct me if I'm wrong.

1) Update the 86U with the official software update first through the 86U user control panel.

2) Then reset the unit to a default state

3) Then Install the Merlin software, the stable version 384.13 released August 1st 2019

Is this correct ? Thank you in advanced

Kind regards,
Mark

Just directly install Merlin and then reset defaults afterwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just directly install Merlin and then reset defaults afterwards

Right, Merlin over whatever is there now works just fine. Then you'll want to install amtm, and use that to install Diversion.
Follow the yellow brick road, and you'll eventually make it to wonderland...or something like that ;)

Hello Snb community !

I am new to Routers, Assus and Merlin, If i may I have a question for the community.

I understand how to locate and Install software both official and Merlin But in what order.......
I will be receiving my new RT-AC86U this morning here is what i am going to do, please correct me if I'm wrong.

1) Update the 86U with the official software update first through the 86U user control panel.

2) Then reset the unit to a default state

3) Then Install the Merlin software, the stable version 384.13 released August 1st 2019

Is this correct ? Thank you in advanced

Kind regards,
Mark

Have a look at, and bookmark for certain future reference:

https://x3mtek.com/asuswrt-merlin-firmware-upgrade/

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac86u-factory-reset.56972/#post-496275

But in what order...
Firmware files are all inclusive, not cumulative so there is no "order".

Start with the simple stuff i.e. get the firmware updated and configured. Consider the other suggestions above (AMTM, Skynet, diversion,...) in the future. Learn to walk before trying to run :) Not sure why everyone is throwing all that stuff in your face right now, just keep it simple.

dosborne; Hmmm, not sure why a few decided to contribute some advice to Mark? Because, everyone had a moment of spare time and decided to respond to his query, as opposed to letting him dangle for a week, rather than tell him to google, or to search the forum. You weren't offended, were you Mark? Cheers.

Hmmm, not sure why a few decided to contribute some advice to Mark?

@MarkNewToAsus is asking about firmware updates, not how to install scripts that he may not need at all. Pushing him in wrong direction is not helping. @dosborne advice is spot on. @MDM provided link above gives the OP the information he is looking for. Simple and working.

Last edited:
Val D: For years, the majority of those who have posted and replied have managed without your reinterpretation and translations of or for an OP's question. While the reply may not not have suited you, it wasn't directed to you. Many noobs to this and so many other groups become disillusioned when their queries receive a rather curt 'use google or the forum's search function' as a reply. Simple enough; have a nice Halloween. End of line.

Many noobs to this and so many other groups become disillusioned when their queries receive a rather curt 'use google or the forum's search function' as a reply
Not that I care to carry on this topic, but my "concern" was not about people answering in general, and I didn't see anyone blowing them off to google. it just seemed some were going way beyond what was being asked.

If someone asks about flashing firmware, in my mind I don't leap to usb sticks, swap file, scripts, firewalls, VPNs, backup power, telepathy, etc :)

Just trying to point out to the OP that while a lot of the things mentioned may be good ideas, they are not directly related to the query that had been posted.

Everyone is just trying to help. Seems you took it personally which was not the intent. No "dangling" required, the query was answered within a few minutes :)

Last edited:
Hello. Thank you for the welcome and all the good information.

I went ahead and completed this, Installed the official and then the Merlin software, Everything went perfect.

---

I had some issues getting my ISP (Vodafone Ireland) username and password for my PPOE settings but managed to get it sorted in the end ( If anyone is interested just ask)

---

I then ran Into the Issue of No wireless connection but my wired was fine just no wireless signal, I could see it on my wireless devices but could no connect. I done everything i could think of.
I'm using the Draytek 130 Modem and RT86U, It turns out the reason i had no Wireless is because i turned off DHCP in my Asus router, I done this because i thought the dhcp settings in my 130 modem was good enough, but no it was not, You see i just wanted one device with this setting enabled, Here is what i done.......

I disabled the dhcp settings in my 130 modem and then enabled the dhcp settings in my router and boom the wireless worked straight away. I wanted to be sure this was the reason so i revered my actions again to replicate the issue and yes it happened again no wireless.

However because of this action (disabling dhcp in modem) I can not gain entrance into the modem again, Maybe I'm wrong but i belief the term is called (just a dumb modem now, bridging)

Anyway, I'm happy enough as i don't need to gain entrance to the 130 modem, If i do i can just hook it up to the computer again.

Yes learning loads, having fun and annoying my wife, 3 birds with the one Router

Hello. Thank you for the welcome and all the good information.

I went ahead and completed this, Installed the official and then the Merlin software, Everything went perfect.

---

I had some issues getting my ISP (Vodafone Ireland) username and password for my PPOE settings but managed to get it sorted in the end ( If anyone is interested just ask)

---

I then ran Into the Issue of No wireless connection but my wired was fine just no wireless signal, I could see it on my wireless devices but could no connect. I done everything i could think of.
I'm using the Draytek 130 Modem and RT86U, It turns out the reason i had no Wireless is because i turned off DHCP in my Asus router, I done this because i thought the dhcp settings in my 130 modem was good enough, but no it was not, You see i just wanted one device with this setting enabled, Here is what i done.......

I disabled the dhcp settings in my 130 modem and then enabled the dhcp settings in my router and boom the wireless worked straight away. I wanted to be sure this was the reason so i revered my actions again to replicate the issue and yes it happened again no wireless.

However because of this action (disabling dhcp in modem) I can not gain entrance into the modem again, Maybe I'm wrong but i belief the term is called (just a dumb modem now, bridging)

Anyway, I'm happy enough as i don't need to gain entrance to the 130 modem, If i do i can just hook it up to the computer again.

Yes learning loads, having fun and annoying my wife, 3 birds with the one Router

One wife and 3 birds?

Is that “birds” as in the informal British meaning?

“INFORMAL•BRITISH
a young woman or a girlfriend.“

Don't ask unrelated to firmware installation questions, please. :D
have some sympathy for the only testosterone-fuelled human in his house, dude, especially if the majority of them are teen/pre-teen & learning to regulate estrogen while looking for fast, reliable wifi. he's here for knowledge, and to hang with the bros. it's all good AFAIC- we can help him on all counts. peace and quiet while he's tweaking/fixing the infernal machines? well, he's got a wife to help there.

he's got a wife to help there.

I'm afraid WiFe will have no WiFi for longer than 15 minutes... and we won't hear from him ever again. I'm using WiFe technology for 20+ years, have some experience. Every WiFi interruption is a life-threatening event. This is why the backup router is always on stand-by.

Last edited:
dosbourne: Nothing wrong here, however it seems some are dictating a personal slant toward replies, stressing what they believe or state is/isn't correct, when doing so serves no purpose. Unfortunately, there has always been trolling and baiting, which is the way of the internet. Some forums are like the wild west, others are much more civil and an occasional jest is readily seen for what it is. It's hard to read anyone's mind on the web, whether one is plain spoken or not and some just have too much time on their hands. Usually, by the time a thread reaches a certain point of absurdity, the moderator closes it.

If information in a reply directed to an OP helps them, they (or others) are free to use the information or to ignore it; perhaps they have better information to offer, without bending anything into a debate as to what someone else is, means, etc. In other threads on this site, there are plenty of short replies with no information offered, just a terse 'google/search' for what is needed. You're right; the google/search reply wasn't said or offered to this OP. When posters are new to a router or any networking process and if they haven't researched it themselves, searching is the quickest, best means of finding an answer, and that's good. Any member regardless of their seniority, is free to reply to an OP, and to choose to use or not to use any information offered, without seeming to bait or troll other's replies. If all anyone wants is to hang anonymously, lurking/learning and not posting/replying never hurt anything.

There are other areas for general chatting/texting interaction. This thread has run it's course; the OP expressed thanks for good information offered and it's time for Moderator to close this thread.

Nothing wrong here, however it seems some are dictating a personal slant toward replies

We just want to see accurate answers here on SNB, not just answers. Again, AMTM installation method is unrelated with Firmware Updates, no matter how you twist and turn it.