What's new

Correct way to set this up?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Synomenon

Regular Contributor
I have a Netgear R7800 router which has 4 ports and doesn't have any options for link aggregation.

I also have a QNAP TS-453mini which has dual ethernet ports and supports aggregation.

I also have a Netgear GS108T which isn't currently being used.

Can I configure the R7800 as just an access point + DHCP server and have the GS108T act as the switch since it supports aggregation?

So basically it would be hooked up like this:

Modem -> R7800 -> GS108T -> All wired devices including both ports of the QNAP TS-453mini.

Would this be the best way to connect everything and get max performance from the QNAP?

Alternatively, I could sell the R7800 and get the R8500 which has six LAN ports (two can be linked for aggregation).

Yes, that is how you would wire it. (Modem -> R7800 -> GS108T -> All wired devices including both ports of the QNAP TS-453mini.).

I am not sure if you will get more performance from the QNAP or not though. That will depend on how you use your network along with your NAS.

Buying additional equipment for link aggregation is not recommended. You already have the parts you need now. The issue is, 'why' setup link aggregation if it will not be needed or possibly ever used?

So how would I setup the R7800 then after I get everything connected? I changed to the Advanced tab of the R7800's web UI and go to Setup -> LAN Setup.

IP Address: 192.168.0.1
IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
RIP Direction: Both
RIP Version: Disabled

Use Router as DHCP Server: Enabled
Starting IP Address: 192.168.0.2
Ending IP Address: 192.168.0.254

Is that all I need to do to setup the R7800 as just the DHCP server? So then once I connect the GS108T to the R7800, everything that connects to the GS108T should get an address.

That looks good so far.