What's new

CPU Core1 ~100%

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Darren Rockach

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I have a problem with my current setup. The setup is as listed below but basically when I print from wired lan to wireless printer the cpu on my router hits ~100% on Core1 and the print job takes an age.
This is when printing a jpg file of 8MB in high quality. When printing wireless to wireless all is fine.

Wired network via RT-AC87U (firmware 380.65 2) subnet 192.168.20.0
Wireless network via Linksys Velop Mesh wifi subnet 192.168.1.0
(note velop cannot run in access point mode, only in full routing mode)

I have configured a static route on the router for 192.168.1.0/24 via the 192.168.20.x interface of the Linksys Velop.
I have also disabled the firewall on the Velop system. Traffic is obviously getting through but for some reason is hitting the cpu on the router.

I have also added the two iptables entries below to the router:
iptables -A FORWARD -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 192.168.20.0/24 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -s 192.168.20.0/24 -d 192.168.1.0/24 -j ACCEPT

Running top on the router does not show anything hitting the cpu either.

If anyone can help or advise I'd much appreciate it.

It has something to do with 380.65_2 because I'm having the same issue with AC88U & AC87U. I have reverted them back to 380.65

_2 is a mess so many ppl reporting issues including myself i went back to the newest stock for now and everything works fine again

This is how asus uses the CPU, Core1 is always used by Wired and WAN first, at max throughput, core1 will hit 100% and Core2 is mostly used by WiFi. In general the cpu usage is:
1. Core1 = WAN+Wired+System
2. Core2 = WAN+WiFi

This is based on stock firmware and tested against 500mbit internet uplink/downlink. First image is the Wired and 2nd is WiFi.
AC5300-Wired-WAN-CPU.png
AC5300-WiFi-WAN-CPU.png

so many ppl reporting issues

The vast majority of these are all on an RT-AC3200, and the issue has already been tracked down.

Unfortunately downgrading to the firmware didn't resolve my problem. About 25% into the print job and core1 goes to ~100%.

The vast majority of these are all on an RT-AC3200, and the issue has already been tracked down.
@RMerlin I'm facing it in AC88U when Adaptive QoS (also device priority enabled). Core goes upto 100% and stays there not lowering down at all.
Disabling it and rebooting device takes it down.

I have reverted both back to .65 in the meantime

If you need any troubleshooting or testing w/ 87&88U let me know.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@RMerlin I'm facing it in AC88U when Adaptive QoS (also device priority enabled). Core goes upto 100% and stays there not lowering down at all.
Disabling it and rebooting device takes it down.

I have reverted both back to .65 in the meantime

If you need any troubleshooting or testing w/ 87&88U let me know.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have an RT-AC88U with Adaptive QoS, and have no such problem. High CPU usage is almost always caused by a plugged USB disk, unless you are transfering a LOT of traffic, causing the CPU load.

You will have to see what is using that CPU. If it's sirq-based, then it means it's either traffic or USB related.