What's new

Crashed volume and possible RMA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Caple

Regular Contributor
Hey everyone.
I have a DS213j with two Seagate ST3000DM001 drives on it, as single volumes. Both have 10k hours of usage (NAS is 24/7). When I bought it there was no NAS specific drives to buy here.
Yesterday the NAS started beeping and the Volume 1 crashed. The NAS locked the drive and it's read only now.
On storage management both drives are Healthy. Both with repaired bad sectors. The Volume 1 has more then 6k bad sectors. The Volume 2 has 128 sectors. I believe that's why only the Volume 1 is locked.
So my questions are:
1 - should I RMA both drives, even though Volume 2 seems to be still ok?
2 - is there anyway I can unlock the drive on the NAS, to delete my files before sending to RMA? I mean, without connecting it to a desktop to erase it.
If sending both drives to RMA is the right thing to do, I'm thinking of sending it and replacing with two WD Red drives. If not, I'll just wait for the RMA and put the new drive on it.
Thanx.

If this is running as a mirror and you feel comfortable working on the system then buy a matching drive and replace drive 1, the crashed volume, with a new drive. Make sure you replace the correct hard drive or all your data is gone. The system should rebuild the mirror. Once the mirror is rebuilt it is time to replace the other drive since it is showing errors. You should end up with all your data on 2 new drives. You must not interrupt the rebuild processes or data will be lost. So make sure the first rebuild is done before swapping the second drive out.

His post says he has two volumes, not RAID1. That's good in terms of backing up vol1 to vol 2.

I would buy a new drive. Need not match vol2' i.e, could be larger drive.

RMA drives get used drives as replacement, with xxx hours on it!

If it is not running a mirror and drive one is crashed where does the OS live?

If both drives are showing bad sectors then both drives need to be replaced.

Sorry the late reply.
Seagate will only accept to RMA the drive if it fails the Seagate Seatools Advanced test.
Already tried Volume 1 and it didn't pass. Now I'm backing up Volume 2 to other PCs and external drives to test it on Seatools.
I already RMAed drives before. The Seagate I did was replaced for a refurbished drive. And of course I don't want to use on my NAS.
The bad side is that I don't have the money now to buy new drives. Specially the WD Red ones, that are more expensive here (in fact, all of them are expensive here). :/
But I don't feel comfortable using any of the drives now. Not the ones I have, neither the one I may receive from RMA.

The stuff I have is not critical, that's why I'm using single volumes. I went the cheap way.
But I'm about to go the expensive way in order to be relaxed when/if it happens again.
WD Reds for a more relaxed case. WD Greens for a cheaper solution. Both alternatives in RAID1.

Actualy the price difference is not that huge. So the Red ones would be my best bet.

My 2 bay NAS has two volumes: 1 and 2. Volume 2 contains backups of PC disk images, backups of key items on vol 1, and a "time backup" of the last 6 months of file versions of key folders stored on volume 1. And Vol 1 key folders to to USB3 drive every day.

No RAID, by intent. Thus, worst case, either drive is readable on a Windows (with freeware ext4 mounter) or on a Linux PC. A drive that's part of a RAID stripe cannot likewise be read.

Ah so, my data is very important. That's why I don't use RAID and have 2 independent volumes plus two other media for backup!

I said that because I understood, when I read "key folders", that some other folders were not backed up.
I just finished the long test on Seagate Seatools on Volume 2 and it passes all tests. So Seagate won't accept it for RMA, even though my NAS says it has bad sectors (all repaired).
Maybe I send the drive, anyway? Maybe it's worth the try.
The worst thing that may happen is they charge me to send the disk back, along with the RMAed one.

I backup everything except NAS folders that contain backups / drive images, of PCs. I see no sense in backing up backups.

I woldn't put a refurbished or warranty exchange (used) drive in a NAS.
I would send a failed one back on RMA but mark the replacement as "not for primary storage"

Last edited:
Well, Seagate told me I'll receive new drives, not used or refurbished.
The drives will be the same model, with the 1ER166-301 part number. Seems to be a little newer than the ones I sent.

Actualy me too.
Years and years ago I RMAed a 250GB drive. They sent a refurbished one, but it was 400GB. Imagine how happy I was at the time. The drive never failed.
Last time I used their service was when a 500GB Samsung exrernal drive failed. They sent me a 500GB Seagate GoFlex, new.

I recently sent in the same drive for RMA. It was quick and painless but they sent me back a refurbished unit. I just bought another WD Red for my NAS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!