What's new

Crazy Airplay issues - What to check next??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TURSTY

New Around Here
Hey guys,

I have spent the past 3 days trawling the internet trying to work out what I cant get Airplay to work in a number of different configurations on my home network. Something's really wrong but I don't know where to start/continue.

I have Vodafone cable here in New Zealand (don't get me started on the massive amount of issues I'm having with dropouts and extended outages, but that's another story) running off a Technicolor TC7210 – Cable modem/router. Attached to one LAN port via structured cabling to the other end of the house is a Netgear N600 DGND3700v2 in wireless AP mode. Below are the basic configuration changes from Default.

Technicolor TC7210:
- Modem Login User and Password changed - gotta keep things secure
- DHCP scope changed to X.X.X.21-199
- I use 2-20 for Static IPs and 200 onwards for additional network hardware (WAY overkill I know)
- I have 5 port forwards for various things - None are common ports used by anything

Netgear N600 DGND3700v2:
- ModemLogin User and Password changed
- DHCP disabled
- IP set to X.X.X.200
- Wireless in AP mode

I have a Win7 PC connected to the Technicolour via a cable. IP static at X.X.X.2. Used for:
- Storage PC
- Plex server
- Plex Home Theatre
- Latest iTunes installed (fresh)
- Has 5K player installed for testing (an airplay server)
- Spotify PC
- Does have DNS settings for Unblock US

I also have a Win10 HTPC connected to the Technicolour via a Cable. IP Dynamic with same Unblock US DNS addresses
- iTunes installed fresh
- Plex HT
- Spotify PC
- Has 5K player installed for testing (an airplay server)

Everything else network related works perfectly including file sharing, network discovery, Spotify connect, MSTSC, printing, internet, plex media, Home automation, no matter how you are connected etc.

I think that's all the relevant info.

So, whats happening with Airplay??

Well here are the scenarios:

*iTunes open on Win7 PC OR the HTPC, Plex and 5k closed. iPhone connected to Technicolor OR Netgear Wifi = No airplay icon on either devices at all. Nada!

*Plex OR 5k player open on Win7 PC. iPhone on either of the WIFI routers = Airplay option pops up on iPhone, but no audio plays when selected. No sign of iPhone as an option on the PC 5K program though.

*Interestingly, if iTunes is open on the PC at the same time as Plex OR 5k, iTunes shows the airplay icon and will play to Plex or 5k. Same goes for the HTPC. BUT neither will play to the others iTunes. So airplay works from anything (including iTunes) to Plex or 5k from wired windows PCs through the Technicolor modem, but not TO iTunes.

*Win8 Surface connected to Technicolor Wifi with iTunes open on the Win7 PC OR HTCP = no airplay options anywhere. As soon as one or the other has Plex or 5k open, airplay will play to it. So airplay works FROM iTunes to plex or 5k from wifi to wired, via Technicolour from windows to windows...but not iTunes to iTunes or Plex/5k to iTunes

*Have tried the HTPC both wired and wireless to the Netgear switch and direct to the technicolor and no change to the above.

So my summary is:
Windows iTunes wont airplay to any other windows iTunes no matter how its connected
Windows iTunes wont play or receive airplay to/from an iPhone no matter what Wifi router its on
iTunes WILL airplay to Plex or 5k no matter how its connected
iPhone will not register or stream airplay to iTunes at all
iPhone will register airplay to plex or 5k, but wont stream sound to it (shows as playing on the iPhone but not whats meant to be receiving it)

So.......how on earth do I go about fault finding this mess?

Should mention I have tried all the basics - disable windows firewall, restart everything, check through all the router settings, reinstalled iTunes/Bonjour etc.

Your help would be much appreciated!

Airplay needs to be on the same subnet with all the Airplay targets... also, need to ensure that multicast is not filtered - some devices out there are inverted on that selection (linksys comes to mind, but perhaps others), and if you have the option for IGMP snooping, ensure that's enabled, and if IGMP Proxy, make sure that is disabled.

If you've gotten creative with VLAN's or running two subnets (which you might be, as you have the carrier provided CM/Gateway and.. the Netgear Router), then Airplay gets a bit confused...

Double check the Netgear device and ensure that it is AP only, and doesn't have any routing functionality and that all devices are handled by a single DHCP server...

Heya,
Everything is on the single subnet using the 192.168.0.1 gateway (the Technicolor modem). I have checked the settings and its pretty basic, but this pic is whats enabled. Strangely by default UPnP was not ticked. Multicast enable is ticked and changing this does nothing. I cant find any IGMP snooping settings anywhere.
Capture_zpsjmc2jhde.png

Have checked the Netgear and most of the networking options are greyed out and AP mode is definitely selected. DHCP is disabled on the netgear and the Technicolor is the DHCP server.

Windows iTunes wont airplay to any other windows iTunes no matter how its connected
Windows iTunes wont play or receive airplay to/from an iPhone no matter what Wifi router its on
iTunes WILL airplay to Plex or 5k no matter how its connected
iPhone will not register or stream airplay to iTunes at all
iPhone will register airplay to plex or 5k, but wont stream sound to it (shows as playing on the iPhone but not whats meant to be receiving it)

ITunes is a sender for AirPlay, not a receiver (e.g. can't point something at iTunes for Airplay).

If you want to see the iTunes library from PC1 on PC2, need to enable sharing - two ways, and I recommend both, but at least check the box in preferences for "Share my Library on my local network", and might consider turning on Home Sharing for the ITMS protected content...

ITunes is a sender for AirPlay, not a receiver (e.g. can't point something at iTunes for Airplay).

Ahh.... I'm not sure why I thought iTunes could receive audio.....

But regardless, the main thing I want to be able to do is airplay from my (and my partners/guests etc) iphone from anywhere in the house, to either my Win7 PC (speakers connected and serves one half of the house), or my HTPC (serves the other half of the house).

Have you got any thoughts as to why I can airplay from windows iTunes to plex or 5k fine, but the iPhones only show the airplay icon but play no sound?

Sorry, forgot to specify - When the airplay becomes available on the iPhone (i.e. if Plex or 5k player is open on one of the PC's), the icon is only the stereo speaker, not the screen. I.e. the icon that ususally comes up when only audio streaming is available, not video. Both 5k and Plex are capable of receiving video so something fishy is definitely going on.

Edit - I have since installed Reflector 2 and I can airplay music to my PC's (although the quallity is not perfect). I can also cast the iPhone's screen to the PC, but I still cannot cast video to the PC.

I can live with this for now, but I would ultimately like to find out why this isn't working as it should!

Last edited: