What's new

Cryptic password reset email from Asus forum

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RocketJSquirrel

It seems the password I thought worked yesterday doesn't work today on the Asus forum at http://vip.asus.com/forum/ .

I went through the "forgot password" drill and got the cryptic email shown below. I simply cannot understand what it wants me to do. Entering the supplied 5-digit number as the password (or user id, or both) does not work. Can any of you translate this into an action I can take to get my Asus forum account working again?
Dear Valued Customer,
Welcome to ASUS Member Registration. In order to increase data integrity, we have used unrecoverable encryption system on ASUS Member Registration. In this case, your password is not known to us if you lost it, however, the system will automatically reply you with another unique set of numbers. You can then use that set of numbers to log onto ASUS Member System and change it to a new one based on your preference.

{5 digit number here}

Best Regards,
ASUSTeK Member Center

Last edited:
Most of the blurb is Asus explaining why they cannot simply email you your password (because they store hashes and not passwords).

Only the newest 5-digit code is valid. Initiate another password reset. Use that 5 digit code as your password, and your email address as the username.

Only the newest 5-digit code is valid. Initiate another password reset. Use that 5 digit code as your password, and your email address as the username.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried this several times, but it doesn't work. It just says "ID or Password incorrect".