What's new

CTF/FA acceleration and port forwarding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jbendavid

New Around Here
Hi,
Can someone explain the implications of using port forwarding together with CTF/FA acceleration (on an ac87u)?

Is incoming traffic to forwarded ports also accelerated? (only CTF, or also FA?) or is it separated out and goes through the "slow path" as if acceleration were disabled?

Traffic coming through the forwarded port will bypass CTF, and therefore not be accelerated.

So only traffic originating from inside the network will be accelerated?

Or traffic coming from outside, on a NATed connection that you originally initiated outbound. That's why a web download will be accelerated, for instance.

There might be more to it, but since it's a secret sauce that Broadcom doesn't even share with their own partners, a lot is left to speculation or deduction here.

Or traffic coming from outside, on a NATed connection that you originally initiated outbound. That's why a web download will be accelerated, for instance.

There might be more to it, but since it's a secret sauce that Broadcom doesn't even share with their own partners, a lot is left to speculation or deduction here.

Port forwarding did not work for me on RT-AC68U with NAT Acceleration (CTF) enabled. I had to disable CTF for port forwarding to work. Is this normal on RT-AC68U or is this a firmware bug? Would AC87U have the same limitation/bug?

Port forwarding did not work for me on RT-AC68U with NAT Acceleration (CTF) enabled. I had to disable CTF for port forwarding to work. Is this normal on RT-AC68U or is this a firmware bug? Would AC87U have the same limitation/bug?

I never had any issue using port forwarding with CTF enabled. This might be a limitation of your ISP's service, some can be picky with CTF enabled.

Last edited:
It took me a while to figure this out, but for those of you having problems, are you by any chance using an Openreach or similar fibre modem? If so, you may not be aware that it uses 192.168.1.1 for it's IP address, which happens to clash with the default IP of the Asus router. Change the IP of the router to something else and you should be fine.