What's new

Curious 802.11N issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mistermoonlight

Regular Contributor
I have a curious stability issue when setting my rt-n66 router to support 802.11n using 2 channels. All the devices on the network connects at a quick speed to the router and everything seems to work fine but after 7-10 days, the network is becoming to shutdown every device one after the other until no device could access a wifi connection with the router anymore.

Let me explain this better, let's say at 10h am, device#1 lost the wireless connection, at 6.25pm, device#2 is loosing the wireless connection and at 10h25 pm because i turn off my bravia tv which has wireless connection, it could not connect anymore after powering on the tv. Once a conection is lost for a device, it could not recover it by itself. It is likes the router could maintain a wireless connection with a device, but if the connection is lost, will not allow to reconnect at all?

Turning off/on wireless on the router or rebooting the router will solve the problem.

When the wireless is set to 802.11g, i am never getting this problem. Curiuosly, until the day where the disconnection begins, all devices on the 802.11n connnects almost max speed and seems very stable.

Any idea of what could it be?

Hi, I have a tablet (Pipo M6 Pro) that starts of using the 2.4Ghz N-speeds, but looses the ability to access websites after a while. However, if I run a 'ping' from the tablet to the same website, thus does work without a problem.

All my other devices are able to keep using the 2.4Ghz wifi at N-speeds, just not the tablet.

I use as 'workaround' setting the 2.4Ghz to B+G only, this way it keeps working.
My impression is the tablet/router get out-of-sync somehow.

Before the tablet worked flawlessly with my old linksys wrt54gs v4. (And still does when I put this back)

Details:
Router. asus RT-AC66U
Firmware Merlin 378.52_2 , flashed after a clear nvram in stock firmware.

All connections were made after a full reset, configuration was manually build up from scratch.
New SSID's were used, the external devices were configured from scratch as well.

The tablet in this case is a Pipo M6Pro, tested with both the Pipo stock Rom as well as the latest Freaktab ROM build by Maakie and RRiley, version 1.2

In my case, the browsers on the tablet only maintain a working connection using a Legacy, 20mb 2.4GHz connection, while a continious ping does go on.

While typing this, I now realize this is actually very similar to the original WRT54GS I was using before......
So maybe not being able to connect at N-speed's is the tablet's fault after all, since all the other devices do..

I will see if I can test the tablet at a different location, to rule out the Asus router.

Un saludo,

Satbeginner

Last edited:
Both,

It would help to know what router you have, what firmware you have and if you have reset to factory defaults and manually and minimally configured the router after flashing the latest firmware to secure it and connect to your ISP and, also use a new ssid on each band or alternately, 'forget' and then re-associate each device you have with the router, one by one.

Some details on the devices would be good too. Right now, your posts are too vague and general to have anyone even try to offer any help.

Both,

It would help to know what router you have, what firmware you have and if you have reset to factory defaults and manually and minimally configured the router after flashing the latest firmware to secure it and connect to your ISP and, also use a new ssid on each band or alternately, 'forget' and then re-associate each device you have with the router, one by one.

Some details on the devices would be good too. Right now, your posts are too vague and general to have anyone even try to offer any help.
Hi L&LD,

You are right, sorry for my incomplete post.
I updated my earlier post, and while typing I realized it may be the tab's fault...

Un saludo,

Satbeginner

After reverting to legacy on 2.4g, i still have the problem. When happening, i cannot connect with any device on 2.4GHz, but i can see the router ssid. The 5Ghz is working normally :-(