What's new

Curious reduced upload speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jimbone

Occasional Visitor
So I'm a bit exasperated, and hope there is help here to be found! I've searched as best I can and tried all the suggestions google provided, but to no avail. Here's the scoop:

I'm running 384.10_2, and for some reason the upload speed on my MBP is limited to around 1.6mbps on average. All other devices (phones, tablets, etc) seem to have no issue and upload at around 4 mbps (I have 25/5 service with ATT). I even had them come out and look. They replaced the modem, and ran tests and had full dl/ul speeds, just as I did on tablets and such.

I took the MBP offsite, and tried it on several different wireless networks around town. I had great upload speeds everywhere. When I got home, bam, right back down to 1.6mbps. I tried my other MBP, and it had the same issue. Limited u/l speed, but full d/l speed.

Any idea what on the router could be causing it to limit u/l speeds on the MBP's only? I'm stumped.

Thanks so much for the reply!

I've turned them all off with no change. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless on the MBP, and that didn't make a difference either. I've even gone around and unplugged everything I could think of that might be interfering. So maddening!

Using any VPN? Could be an MTU issue then.

It's a ASUS RT-AC5300. Did a reset over the weekend with no change - had the same u/l slowdown after reset.

I've disabled the VPN I was running (was using PIA OpenVPN profiles with no issues previously).

Just so damn odd that the MBP's are the only devices with the issue, with everything else is seemingly connected and humming along as they should.

It's a ASUS RT-AC5300. Did a reset over the weekend with no change - had the same u/l slowdown after reset.

I've disabled the VPN I was running (was using PIA OpenVPN profiles with no issues previously).

Just so damn odd that the MBP's are the only devices with the issue, with everything else is seemingly connected and humming along as they should.

Can you expand for us on the 'reset'? Did you use and restore a saved backup config file?

Did you try using the router at stock defaults right after the reset, before any customizations beyond defaults?

Are you using Auto control channels? Have you tried manually selecting the best one for your WiFi environment and equipment?

Can you expand for us on the 'reset'? Did you use and restore a saved backup config file?

Did you try using the router at stock defaults right after the reset, before any customizations beyond defaults?

Are you using Auto control channels? Have you tried manually selecting the best one for your WiFi environment and equipment?

I set the channels to the least congested using NetSpot and (Site Survey on the firmware), and am not using auto channel.

I could not get the router to completely reset. It would enter rescue mode, but I was unable to get it to accept the ASUS firmware so I could start from 'scratch'. It kept failing. When I did the reset I could do, I did not restore from a backup. I started as if I was setting up a new router as it was prompting me to and used the defaults.

I'm a novice (obviously), and know just enough to be dangerous I guess.

I set the channels to the least congested using NetSpot and (Site Survey on the firmware), and am not using auto channel.

I could not get the router to completely reset. It would enter rescue mode, but I was unable to get it to accept the ASUS firmware so I could start from 'scratch'. It kept failing. When I did the reset I could do, I did not restore from a backup. I started as if I was setting up a new router as it was prompting me to and used the defaults.

I'm a novice (obviously), and know just enough to be dangerous I guess.

Does the router not complete flashing through the GUI? From which version of firmware did you flash to the 384.10_2 version?

From the description given, I would keep trying to do a full and proper reset. Please see my signature for a link on how to get your router to a good/known state (it is not there right now).

The M&M Config is the one you want to see completed for now (after following the link below).

Does the router not complete flashing through the GUI? From which version of firmware did you flash to the 384.10_2 version?

From the description given, I would keep trying to do a full and proper reset. Please see my signature for a link on how to get your router to a good/known state (it is not there right now).

The M&M Config is the one you want to see completed for now (after following the link below).

I was trying to go back to stock ASUS firmware to see if that corrected the issue, but while I was able to get the router into rescue mode, I was unable to upload the ASUS firmware via the rescue app ASUS had on the app store.

I've been running Merlin for over a year, and I upgrade the firmware each time I get a notice so I was previously on 384.10 I guess?

I'll run through your checklist and see what happens. I assume I will be staying on 384.10_2 since that is what is loaded?

I was trying to go back to stock ASUS firmware to see if that corrected the issue, but while I was able to get the router into rescue mode, I was unable to upload the ASUS firmware via the rescue app ASUS had on the app store.

I've been running Merlin for over a year, and I upgrade the firmware each time I get a notice so I was previously on 384.10 I guess?

I'll run through your checklist and see what happens. I assume I will be staying on 384.10_2 since that is what is loaded?

Yes, it will be the same version as what is flashed now.

If you do a full reset via the GUI, make sure to check the box that says 'Initialize all settings...' and also do a an NVRAM erase and reflash the same firmware (yes, it seems redundant, but it has worked wonders for many), you should have your router in a good/known state.

Yes, it will be the same version as what is flashed now.

If you do a full reset via the GUI, make sure to check the box that says 'Initialize all settings...' and also do a an NVRAM erase and reflash the same firmware (yes, it seems redundant, but it has worked wonders for many), you should have your router in a good/known state.

NVRAM erase first, or after reset? Or does it not matter the order?

NVRAM erase first, or after reset? Or does it not matter the order?

The order is important.

I would do this:
  • Reset via GUI (make sure checkbox is checked for 'Initialize all settings...'.
  • When router boots up, do a quick/temporary wizard setup.
  • Pull the power from the router (and not on the ac wall socket), do not reboot.
  • Wait 2 minutes with the power off and then do a WPS NVRAM erase.
    • Hold down the WPS button and plug in the power plug to the router.
    • Keep holding the WPS button for at least 10 to 30 seconds (some may need more) then release.
    • The router should boot up to the setup wizard again. If it didn't, pull the plug and try again.
  • With the NVRAM erase complete, do another quick/temporary wizard setup and flash the firmware you want to use.
  • When it reboots, I would do a final reset to factory defaults (and check the box 'Initialize all settings..' too).

The order is important.

I would do this:
  • Reset via GUI (make sure checkbox is checked for 'Initialize all settings...'.
  • When router boots up, do a quick/temporary wizard setup.
  • Pull the power from the router (and not on the ac wall socket), do not reboot.
  • Wait 2 minutes with the power off and then do a WPS NVRAM erase.
    • Hold down the WPS button and plug in the power plug to the router.
    • Keep holding the WPS button for at least 10 to 30 seconds (some may need more) then release.
    • The router should boot up to the setup wizard again. If it didn't, pull the plug and try again.
  • With the NVRAM erase complete, do another quick/temporary wizard setup and flash the firmware you want to use.
  • When it reboots, I would do a final reset to factory defaults (and check the box 'Initialize all settings..' too).

OK, I've done all that AND checked my settings via the link in your information tab. They match and I have done all associated reboots and resets in order. I redownloaded and flashed 384.10_2.

Still left with the same result I am afraid.

OK, I've done all that AND checked my settings via the link in your information tab. They match and I have done all associated reboots and resets in order. I redownloaded and flashed 384.10_2.

Still left with the same result I am afraid.

You have used new SSID's? You 'forgotten' and then re-associated the router with your MBP?

Try going through the Professional Wireless settings and see if turning off / toggling some of the suggested settings works.

You have used new SSID's? You 'forgotten' and then re-associated the router with your MBP?

Try going through the Professional Wireless settings and see if turning off / toggling some of the suggested settings works.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Yes, I selected new names each time I went through the wizard and removed them from MBP wireless settings.

Nothing seems to make a difference. My phone and tablet have zero issue - uploads as normal at fastest speed. Just the MBP still throttled somehow.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Yes, I selected new names each time I went through the wizard and removed them from MBP wireless settings.

Nothing seems to make a difference. My phone and tablet have zero issue - uploads as normal at fastest speed. Just the MBP still throttled somehow.

There must be an option in your MBP which is causing this then? But, then why would it work outside your home? Sorry, little experience with them.

Are you using Auto Control Channels? Is the Wireless set to Auto mode? Is the same issue seen with both WiFi bands? Or just one?

There must be an option in your MBP which is causing this then? But, then why would it work outside your home? Sorry, little experience with them.

Are you using Auto Control Channels? Is the Wireless set to Auto mode? Is the same issue seen with both WiFi bands? Or just one?

I suspected the the MBP too, but then when there was no issue outside of my home router I scrapped that idea...

I've done both auto control and used specific channels with same result on all bands. I have smart connect turned off as well. Wireless mode has been on auto. I can't get full upload speed on any band.

I suspected the the MBP too, but then when there was no issue outside of my home router I scrapped that idea...

I've done both auto control and used specific channels with same result on all bands. I have smart connect turned off as well. Wireless mode has been on auto. I can't get full upload speed on any band.

Does disabling Universal Beamforming help? Does disabling MU-MIMO help? Does changing the channel bandwidth help? Does changing the Modulation scheme help?

Does disabling Universal Beamforming help? Does disabling MU-MIMO help? Does changing the channel bandwidth help? Does changing the Modulation scheme help?

They've all been disabled from earlier today after all the reboots/reinstalls.I've played with the bandwidth before with no result either. I hadn't played with the modulation scheme - will try that now.